Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving from o2 broadband to Sky Fibre Broadband

This is a discussion on Moving from o2 broadband to Sky Fibre Broadband within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So what's the order in which they do things. Is it: 1. Engineer from BT Openreach fits/installs the fibre connection ...

nedchester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Moving from o2 broadband to Sky Fibre Broadband

So what's the order in which they do things.

Is it:

1. Engineer from BT Openreach fits/installs the fibre connection one day
      2. Phone goes over to Sky
      3. Broadband goes over to Sky (Fibre)

Is there any time when you are without Broadband (OK I know that it'll be down for an hour or so).

I ask because I applied yesterday (then had to cancel) because the date they originally offered for the Openreach engineer was moved to a day when I couldn't be in. I moved the engineer back a couple of weeks but the phone date stayed the same! Rang up and got told that I'd be without broadband from when the phone was moved over to Sky until after the engineer has been.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Moving from o2 broadband to Sky Fibre Broadband

From what others have posted in the past, when moving from another provider to SFU or SFUP, is quite simple:

Day 1: BTO Engineer moves line from old provider to Sky and connects it to Sky ADSL
      Day 2 (official installation date): BTO Engineer connects up the Fibre connection

Although the instructions supplied for the router advise you to wait, it is perfectly alright to connect the Sky Hub SR101 to your telephone line after the BTO Engineer has worked on it on Day 1.

Down time varies on both days but can be anything from 10 minutes to a couple of hours. Sometimes the BTO Engineer will telephone first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Does that mean that Sky will supply ADSL even if it wasn't on the original order?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Does that mean that Sky will supply ADSL even if it wasn't on the original order?
      I was wondering that. Also does the phone line go over on day 1 or day 2?

Thanks

I am going by what other members have posted previously, so please understand that this is not a guarantee.

When they have switched from another provider and the swap to SFU or SFUP has been over a couple of days they have been able to connect the SR101 or Sagem 2504N to the line and benefit from Sky's ADSL service.

Typically this has just been for the one night and the speed has been limited to the start-up connection speed (4096/605).

I'll post a question to see if this is a recognised procedure.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

When I switched from O2 to SFU and home phone it was up and running from the moment the BTO engineer left. He connected the BT router to the SKY router, and then attached all the Ethernet cables. My first speed test was around 33mbps via wifi. It was all quite seamless and the only down time was the 30 mins the BTO engineer was here.

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The problem, as in this case, is when there is a long gap between change over of telephone and broadband services. Logic would suggest that there would be no broadband service during the interim period unless Sky actively take steps to prevent this happening.

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

Don't forget SKY has taken over O2 so you are technically not moving provider so you should not be without either service. I had emails from O2 saying one thing and emails from SKY saying another .

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.

Thanks

Whilst they are technically the same ISP, the BTO Engineer will need to move the connection from O2's kit to Sky's Kit in order for the Fibre to work. Sadly O2 never had a Sky product so we do not know if it is compatible, but more importantly the OP will have to use a Sky Router.

As for the process I am unable to confirm whether there is a process in place to ensure that someone transferring from another ISP to SFU or SFUP will definitely be connected to Sky's ADSL system if there is a delay. I can only repeat what other people have reported when they have been switched.

Ideally I would suggest that the use of a 3G (or 4G) dongle be considered as a temporary backup. A Pay-as-you-go dongle is a good idea. I have one for my own benefit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst they are technically the same ISP, the BTO Engineer will need to move the connection from O2's kit to Sky's Kit in order for the Fibre to work. Sadly O2 never had a Sky product so we do not know if it is compatible, but more importantly the OP will have to use a Sky Router.

As for the process I am unable to confirm whether there is a process in place to ensure that someone transferring from another ISP to SFU or SFUP will definitely be connected to Sky's ADSL system if there is a delay. I can only repeat what other people have reported when they have been switched.

Ideally I would suggest that the use of a 3G (or 4G) dongle be considered as a temporary backup. A Pay-as-you-go dongle is a good idea. I have one for my own benefit.
      I have a T-mobile payg wireless connector which I use when I am away so I would be completely without broadband but a 3G connection is nowhere near as good as a proper fixed line connection. Better than nothing I suppose.