Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just signed to sky fibre unlimited from O2

This is a discussion on Just signed to sky fibre unlimited from O2 within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First I phoned the o2 broadband freephone number and the o2 customer service agent transferred me to sky therefore not ...

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

Just signed to sky fibre unlimited from O2

First I phoned the o2 broadband freephone number and the o2 customer service agent transferred me to sky therefore not incurring the 0844 charge then got put through to Chelsea who was very good and new her stuff.After all the legal stuff was out of the way I was able to get Sky fibre unlimited half price for 6 months with talk weekends (24.50 then 34.50 for 6 months)This is actually a good deal as for the last 2 days I have phoned or live chatted with every broadband provider in my area. Sky contracts are for 12 months not 18 as with the other providers and they do good deals on resigning.
      I will be sorry to lose the fantastic customer service I get from O2 but I will still get this for my mobile,but all in all sky are not as bad at customer service as most . As I am a sky TV customer ( half price for 12 months @ 15.75 p/month) the calls to their own customer service numbers 0844 are included which is a benefit.
      If you are not a sky TV customer maybe try and get a deal with that as-well as there are some very good offers be handed out by sky at the moment. I went with the fibre option as the speed I used to get when I had sky broadband before was 2.5 meg with O2 it is 5.8 meg but should be 40 with SFU, only guaranteed 15 meg for legal reasons but we shall see what it is 2 weeks after installation.
      As the saying goes better the devil you know .

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.

2. Advertisement
      jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just signed to sky fibre unlimited from O2

I have been pleased with my sky tv service for years

I signed up for SkyFibre Pro and SkyTalk a few months ago and I am just as pleased with them as I am with the TV service.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Having been with Sky for some time now, I have been happy with their service.

I have seen the good and bad and how they will correct things. I have also seen the various posts on this and other forums when people have had issues. Sadly Sky does not get it right 100% of the time, however they do generally work hard to make the number of dissatisfied customers quiet small.

It used to be that O2 & Be would get slightly better connection speeds than Sky. To some extent they still do as some van get 1.3mb upload speeds. The best I have see from Sky is 1175kbps.

As for reliability, both Be/O2 and Sky utilise the BTO infrastructure locally and rent their own backhaul (often from BTO) to carry the broadband and phone signals back to their servers. Therefore both networks are subject to the same potential risks (i.e. theft of copper, power cuts, floods, rouge diggers) which can cause problems locally.

Sky's customer services are improving. I haven't seen as many complaints recently about their 'Sky Answers' crib sheet. However they still need to follow it.

The other major criticism is that you have to use Sky's router. Well, to some extent . Members of this forum have managed to get the password from all the various Sky routers and details are available on how to program your own Cable router to work on Sky's Fibre Broadband connections.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

All connected the BTO engineer used my adsl cable extension after he checked it was ok. Current speeds are erratic which I expected but my last speed test showed I am getting faster upload speeds than I was getting for my download speed. The quality of the lovefilm instant is far better through the app on my tv and blu-ray player . All in all very pleased.

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.