Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Anyone changed from Be to Sky Broadband and Phone?

This is a discussion on Anyone changed from Be to Sky Broadband and Phone? within the O2 / Be Customer Information forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by francisuk22 Thats the reason why my Dad went with BE, Because of the Static IP for hes ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Anyone changed from Be to Sky Broadband and Phone?

Quote Originally Posted by francisuk22 View Post
      Thats the reason why my Dad went with BE, Because of the Static IP for hes CCTV system so he can look when hes on route (lorry driver)
      A Dynamic DNS takes care of address changes. There is no real necessity for a static address for that purpose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      rm113 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ely
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I moved from Be to Sky on the 15th of July.

The experience has been as poor as I feared:
      1.) My local exchange is small yet the attenuation on the line suggests the Sky kit is 200 or more metres further away. This suggest that the Sky wiring is of poor quality
      2.) Even allowing for the poor wiring, my effective speed has been reduced by 25% downstream and upstream
      3.) The latency has gone from around 32ms to around 90ms
      4.) At some times of the day the latency is around 120-200ms, suggesting overdemand
      5.) The IP address range is in the PBL so I can't send work emails (I work from home)

I will work around the last point but the rest may form the basis of an early exit and a move to a proper ISP
      Last edited by rm113; 27-07-13 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Corrected date

Thanks

1.) My local exchange is small yet the attenuation on the line suggests the Sky kit is 200 or more metres further away. This suggest that the Sky wiring is of poor quality
      Thats a bit strange, you will be using the same wires as you did before.

Post your stats and we will see if you can be helped. There are many who have moved from BE/O2 to Sky now enjoying better speeds than they did with their previous supplier.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

With Be I had:
      Link Down: 4836k, Up: 1018k
      Attentuation: 51.5 dB, 29.9 dB
      Margin: 8.8 db, 9.3 dB

With Sky (after my 10 days), I have:
      Link Rate: 4094k , 798
      Attentuation: 55.0, 32.7
      Margin: 2.3, 12.12

When I said 'wiring' I meant the jumpers on the MDF and the wire run to the racks in the TPA
      Or it could be that the router and MSAN/DSLAM aren't well matched

I see today that I've changed from MER to PPPoA which is a surprise. Perhaps I should replace the Sky Hub with my own 11ac router that's now on a shelf.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rm113 View Post
      I moved from Be to Sky on the 15th of July.

The experience has been as poor as I feared:
      2.) Even allowing for the poor wiring, my effective speed has been reduced by 25% downstream and upstream
      3.) The latency has gone from around 32ms to around 90ms
      4.) At some times of the day the latency is around 120-200ms, suggesting overdemand
      5.) The IP address range is in the PBL so I can't send work emails (I work from home)

I will work around the last point but the rest may form the basis of an early exit and a move to a proper ISP
      1) Openreach are responsible for the Wiring between the CP (Communication providers) Kit and the MDF, the It's possible the equipment is in a different location as it's likely it would have been installed wherever there was room.

2 & 3) Ouch sounds like something funny going on there or DLM has applied a very high level of interleaving

4) What's the throughput like when this occurs, can you setup an f8lure graph (http://f8lure.mouselike.org)

5) Interesting, do you email directly and not via an SMTP relay? Most spam filters don't care if the original email came from a dynamic ip just that the mailserver IP itself isn't blocklisted.

Thanks

That is very poor, I think you should call Sky and ask them to investigate your connection. It looks like there is a problem somewhere. My son had much the same problem when moving from Plusnet to Sky. He had 4Mb with PN and only got 2Mb when he moved. A call to Sky and his speed is now 5Mb+ which he is well pleased with, as he, like you, is a long way from his exchange.

As Dragon says, there is not usually a problem with email, there are a great many on the forum who work from home and have no problems with their email.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks Isitme and Dragon for your thoughts and advice.

I'll be in touch with Sky to see what they can do to help.

I've solved my email issues by Smarthosting and using a local Exchange server I have. Some of the threads span the ages of Google and Yahoo mail so look bad to start with and then, right at the end, it turns out ok, like many films.

cjdl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSMIL
      Thanks

I jumped ship, the deal was too good not to. TV installed within something ridiculous like 2/3 days, phone & BB about a week later. Saw zero downtime, other than when i swapped routers over. Wasn't overly impressed with the 10 day on DLM (started at 4mb), but now up to 21mb. Upstream is only 1.2mb though, I used to have 2.5mb. But I can live with that.

One thing to watch out for, I specifically asked if my line was going to remain a BT wholesale line, or if it'd be moved to Sky's network - I was told it'd remain BTW. Guess what, it was moved to Sky's network... so if I ever want to move to another provider, i'll be hit with a conversion fee. Still considering putting a complaint in about this, and may seek to recoup the conversion fee should I ever leave.

Other than that, it's all hunky-dory

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

You should not be charged a "conversion fee" when switching to another provider.

Most providers want new busness so if they start stuffing new customers fees for moving you away from an LLU provider, such as Sky, they are going to be cutting their own throats.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

BT have been waiving reconnection fees for customers wanting to take both telephone and broadband with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast