Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Indoor aerial to receive freeview. Can you recommend one please?

This is a discussion on Indoor aerial to receive freeview. Can you recommend one please? within the NOW TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; As per the title. I need to purchase an indoor aerial to receive freeview. Rather than go with possibly suspect ...

milgo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor - Cabinet 6
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Unlocked BTO HG612 and Sky Hub 3
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Indoor aerial to receive freeview. Can you recommend one please?

As per the title. I need to purchase an indoor aerial to receive freeview. Rather than go with possibly suspect reviews online I thought that I would ask here. My location is Windsor Berkshire if that helps at all. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
      Downstream 72311/ Upstream 19999

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Indoor aerial to receive freeview. Can you recommend one please?

It would be extremely difficult for anyone to recommend an indoor aerial. In theory they should all receive Freeview there are none specifically made to receive Freeview. The problem with indoor aerials, as with outdoor aerials, is how strong a signal you have where you are. The major problem that indoor aerials have to contend with are walls, furniture, exterior obstacles such as other buildings in the signal path etc etc etc. The gains on indoor aerials tend to be much less than a decent outdoor aerial. Yes there are amplified ones but these tend to amplify any noise on the signal as well as the signal. So it would not be practical for anyone to recommend any specific indoor aerials, although I'm sure someone will.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Indoor aerial to receive freeview. Can you recommend one please?

Online reviews will be fine in many cases, but you'll need a specific aerial for where you live. They aren't all the same.

As pete.i has mentioned, the signal strength is a major factor. Add to the walls or roof. Saying that indoor aerials can work quite well. Mine is.

Take a look at the page below and you'll see that there are different classifications:

Digital UK | Reception guide

Now take a look at these pages to see:

Which transmitters deal with your home:
      Digital UK - Coverage checker (putting in my home details I found out that a retune is due next March for this area)

For a map of the area the transmitter covers and the aerial group:
      https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/locations/Freeview

The aerial group in the last link will relate to that for you in the first link.

From here you'll have a better idea which aerial you'll need for where you live.

If you ar installing the aerial yourself then make sure you know the direction of the transmitter before you start and so out a way to fine tune the alignment before you start.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms