Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree9Likes

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

This is a discussion on NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet within the NOW TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; No, Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV told the press audience at the Friday press conference. Sorry, my reliable source ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

No, Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV told the press audience at the Friday press conference.

Sorry, my reliable source says I cannot divulge his details, just spoke with him.
      It wont be herer till later in the year and they have not seen any detailed specs or seen it physically yet.

Also says so in yesterdays press release
      https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...vanced-box-yet

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”
      Haha! Good old James, hes always reliable, if often like he says cryptic.
      Last edited by lettice; 30-01-16 at 02:33 PM.
      speedyrite likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (30-01-16)

3. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      No, Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV told the press audience at the Friday press conference.
      A friend of mine in the press was there, he told me last night.
      Fair enough then! Thanks for the info. I'm slightly surprised that Roku would build in a tuner just for a Sky badged version of a device, given the whole premise of Roku business being based around streaming. I would have thought that Sky might have done a deal with TVPlayer to include their app on the box and use that stream the Freeview live TV content (rather than pick up off-air broadcast). But hey ho, interesting times ahead!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

I think from what Ive gathered is that its positoned to compete with the likes of TalkTalk and BT basic boxes as an alternative and also giving you freeview, so also pulling in that audience and I suspect the upcoming freeview play tv thing.
      Now TV from what we have seen has really taken off for sky, so doing that really adds more for the user and of course will have a new EPG/tv guide with it all pulled together with recomendations, suggestions and pay offerings all in one.

Of course the Apple TV, amazon stuff etc.
      The new upcoming now tv epg from what Ive been reading today too looks nice.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes I've seen the new NOW TV interface (it's currently in beta). It's an improvement, but not drastically so (in my opinion, of course).

I'm also running a Humax YouView box here (BT badged but retail version) to record stuff off the Freeview channels. It has a NOW TV app on board, but only Movies can be watched (Entertainment & Sports don't work because YouView don't allow apps to stream live tv) which is interesting....

Haven't missed the Sky+HD at all since we dropped Sky TV at the start of this month! The Humax hasn't missed a beat (yet) and using the streaming services (as well as NOW TV, we also use Netflix at present) has all been good so far.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

@lettice

With my Sky shareholder hat on, I finally got around to viewing the UK webcast from last Friday's Sky half year results presentation (for anybody reading this who is interested, it's one of the items listed under "Q2 15/16 on https://corporate.sky.com/investors/latest-results ).

As you mentioned earlier from your source who was there, the CEO definitely stated (at around 26 mins from the start) that the next NOW TV box will have a terrestrial tuner.

Over at the NOW TV forum, there's already customer interest in knowing about any beta trials for it! But I don't think I'll be interested as I've already got a decent Freeview PVR and I have now found the nearest thing to the holy grail ("one box to view them all"*) which is a Roku 2.

* - except direct access to iTunes, although local iTunes can be accessed via the PLEX app. ROKU also has "Play on Roku", which is a sort of Airplay like feature to "cast" from a device to the TV via the Roku box.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

A truly open freesat/freeview+IPTV box is sorely needed. This will not be that I'm guessing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      A truly open freesat/freeview+IPTV box is sorely needed. This will not be that I'm guessing.
      Agreed on both points.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

What I find most frustrating is that I have SKY TV, multiroom and on about a 40p/m package.

I also have a nowtv box and pay 9.99 for movies.

I do not understand why they cant link my sky account to this nowtv box and enable me to watch my sky content on there! Or am I missing something?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

No you're not missing anything! NOW TV is aimed at a different market and Sky have chosen to keep that distinction separate. I think that the Sky business sees Sky TV as a more premium service than NOW TV and aims at a different sector of the pay tv market (in the same or similar way as, presumably, Sky Q is aiming to be a more premium service than regular Sky TV via "not" Sky Q kit).

So, Sky TV customers don't get included access to any NOW TV services, and vice versa. The only commonality can be the Sky ID (I think).

But paying 9.99 a month to NOW TV for a (Sky) Movies pass is probably cheaper for you than paying the list price (if you can't get a discount or a reduced price for Movies by taking Sky Sports as well). But most people probably don't realise that!
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Thanks

Come June when all my discounts run out, like half price line rental, free broadband, sky go extra and some tv reduction, I may look at NOW TV, but still keep the basic sky box (some recording), so stay on the basic 20 sky package, but drop sky sports and legacy variety.
      Will depend on the discounts; if they still offer free broadband and half price line rental, it could be a no brainer.

Not sure though its going to be a cheaper option though with now tv.
      Would certainly miss Sky Go for my Sports, but Now TV would give me that out and about as well I suppose, but still only 2 devices is it not. Do not really use the download function of sky go extra, but like having it on 4 current devices to easily switch.
      Was thinking of now tv with sports, but is that only sports, does it give you the entertainment channels like sky atlantic or do you then have to have to have a sports and entertainment pass, it gets expensive then. 9.99 + 6.99, but there are often pass offers, which i suppose you can line up.

I'm thinking also if I went this route of finally getting fibre, as although I've got a very reliable 24mb maxed out adsl line, I would enjoy maxing out on either the 38mb fibre or the 76mb pro one.
      So thats 20 a month and the line rental as opposed to half line rental and free broadband now for the beckham deal.
      The phone package is now free as im on the new free calls package (we don't use the landline for calls).

Am I missing something, as be honest they would work out pretty much the same, but Id get the extra joy of the fibre pro.
      With catchup and box sets, the days of recording are not so important anymore.
      Last edited by lettice; 14-02-16 at 12:37 PM.
      speedyrite likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast