Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Virex

This is a discussion on Virex within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by miahm2 I thought viruses don't affect Macs Or is Apple wrong It says that Viruses don't affect ...

scartcable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky world
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Virex

Quote Originally Posted by miahm2 View Post
      I thought viruses don't affect Macs

Or is Apple wrong

It says that Viruses don't affect Macs in their websites or are they just saying that
      I have never heard of an apple mac getting a virus but then again i could be wrong

2. Advertisement
      Lupa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scartcable View Post
      I have never heard of an apple mac getting a virus but then again i could be wrong
      I wouldnt bother its a mac its got the best security in the OS already! Why would a person make a virus just to infect a few people's macs?

Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meboard View Post
      Yeah not easy to find but go to Sky home page and after logging in click on 'Help' at top of page (next to 'log out').

FAQ

Look for 'NEW - How can I install the McAfee anti-virus program for my Mac?'

Click on which ever download is compatible with your operating system and follow instructions. Let me know how you get on.

The design of the sky site is not easy to navigate or intuitive to find some things but that said, I have just tried your links today and it works fine - No problems with updating and now able to check files for viruses.

Even though I've never had a 'Mac' virus and there don't appear to be many if any about, one must'nt become complacent.

Thanks for help
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

harry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      I'm new to Sky and new to forums, so hope I'm doing this right! I'd love to know how you can download the Virex software. I thought it was only possible from the installation CD, which doesn't work on either my Imac or my MacBook. I have found Sky technical support absolutely useless. I miss Pipex, who were great.

scartcable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky world
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
      Hi
      I'm new to Sky and new to forums, so hope I'm doing this right! I'd love to know how you can download the Virex software. I thought it was only possible from the installation CD, which doesn't work on either my Imac or my MacBook. I have found Sky technical support absolutely useless. I miss Pipex, who were great.

Go to Sky Broadband - Home and after logging in click on 'Help' at top of page (next to 'log out').

FAQ

Look for 'NEW - How can I install the McAfee anti-virus program for my Mac?'

Click on which ever download is compatible with your operating system and follow instructions.

biscuit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ripponden (fairly large Yorkshire village)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I've browsed quite a few Mac user discussion forums over the years and the general consensus seems to be that installing Mac antivirus products gives you a huge net productivity loss, and maybe negative security.

The OS isn't *completely unvirus-able* but stuff can't just install itself at random and for a virus to really do anything (as with any UNIX system) it would need root privileges which would usually involve the user authenticating it with an admin password.

If you're using Safari as a browser you'll want to turn off the 'Open safe files after downloading' option in general preferences which will avoid files downloading themselves through Safari and opening. This won't do much harm anyway except for the dmg image exploit that caused a kernel panic.

Using a nice and secure browser like Safari (with prefs properly set) and a good firewall (I.E. the hardware firewall built into the Sky router) means that people can't just gain access and transmit viruses to your computer as can happen on windows unfirewalled. As long as you don't install any software that you think could be suspicious and especially don't authenticate anything to install unless you know exactly what it is means that it's highly unlikely a virus can do any harm.

There are no OS X viruses 'in the wild', there have just been proof-of-concepts that barely did harm anyway and had no way of self-replication.

This concept of security-through-obscurity is complete rubbish, the fact that OS X remains unharmed by viruses must surely give hackers a huge incentive to be the first, instead of being forgotten among the 100,000 windows virii.

I think Sky just provide Virex so that if anyone ever did get some kind of malicious software, they can't sue Sky over it.

To conclude, Macs DONT need antivirus. I've run my iBook for 2 years now and the only thing that's caused me system problems have been buggy software titles that did have root-level privileges that sometimes caused a crash every so often. An antivirus program like Virex is likely to have some bugs in it that could lead to this kind of thing so I think you'd be better of without.

Of course if you're bothered about the safety of Windows users you'll want to scan files before you email them etc., and something like ClamXAV to do the occasional system scan could be useful. You won't want anything like Virex if it gets as tied-in with the system as some windows antivirus products I've experienced do (not mentioning any names *cough* Norton).

Personally I'm downloading VirusScan (which is the one for Tiger) now, to see if you can install it to use just as a scanner when needed, as a free commercial product is a free commercial product. I'm noticing that Sky's server is horrendously slow :P getting 30KB/s.
      Last edited by biscuit; 25-05-07 at 10:26 PM.

biscuit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ripponden (fairly large Yorkshire village)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

UPDATE:
      I've installed VirusScan off Sky's website. The installer only gives you the options of full read and write scanning or just write scanning, so I set it to write scanning, and rebooted.

Activity monitor reported 3 processes running by root using 33MB each for a total of 100MB of RAM, wasted. However if you go into preferences you can turn off 'on access' scanning and just use 'on demand' for scanning suspicious files etc. I truly feel this will be the way to go for many years to come with Mac viruses, having a virus scanner in reserver for if you're suspicious about an app you're installing. On-access scanning (which scans every time a file is written or read from your hard disk) is unneccessary.

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I installed VirusScan earlier in the week to see what it was like and my MacBook Pro (1.83 with 2Gb RAM) started to run like there was treacle in it...

Uninstalled it ... and when I rebooted it broke MacOS to the extent I had to do a full restore.

Not recommended

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last edited by ukdy; 28-05-07 at 09:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12