Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need some reassurance?!!!!

This is a discussion on Need some reassurance?!!!! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, this might seem like a daft post, but i am thinking about changing to Sky broadband from my ...

astrobhoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Need some reassurance?!!!!

Hi all,

this might seem like a daft post, but i am thinking about changing to Sky broadband from my current ISP provider (madasafish) who i have to say were excellent and reliable. Why am i changing? Well the monthly tarrif was 16.99, and i have a limit of 5gb a month. I'm considering getting onto a 'bitorrent' so my downloads could go through the roof!
      Anyway, i'll also be suing it for business so it will be vary critical that i have a system that works all of the time if not 99% of the day.
      Would this be asking too much of Sky broadband do you think? Am i living in a dream that it could all go smoothly. I have heard some people on another football related forum saying that they were so annoyed (that's putting it lightly!) with Sky broadband and they had only had it for a short while, but i think they were just connection problems.

My other question is that I have a good BT ethernet router which i bought from madasafish - can i use this instead of the wireless, and/or if i have to use the wirless, will it be as reliable as having it plugged straight into my G4?

Any advice or help would be most - helpful!

cheers

2. Advertisement
      movielad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need some reassurance?!!!!

The thing with Sky Broadband is that in the Terms and Conditions of service, it mentions that you can't use Sky Broadband for commercial purposes. Even if such a condition didn't exist, I would not rely on them for business broadband.

M.
      http://www.skyblogband.org.uk (relaunching soon)
      - A consumer's PoV of Sky Broadband
      http://google.apps.me.uk
      - Getting to grips with the Google Apps service

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need some reassurance?!!!!

We joined Sky BB end of December and so far the service has been okay. Friction with Sky seems to be centered on an overloaded (and perhaps undertrained) customer service staff. When something goes wrong and you can't fix it yourself, delays arise.

I've experienced a problem with the Airport wireless adapter built into some Mac laptops which means that they don't have the same working range as the better (such as Centrino) PC laptops. You'll always get better results using an ethernet cable.

The Sky router is a Netgear unit and I think it generally performs as well as other basic models in their range. Most people turn off UPnP in the router and there are plenty of posts on this site on this and other mods.

You can use other routers if you can read the username and password that Sky flash into their router -- there's a utility posted on this site which will help you.