Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

sky broadband on but cannot connect wireless

This is a discussion on sky broadband on but cannot connect wireless within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi I have white macbook i got off ebay, worked fine until two days ago and now suddenly wont connect ...

katilea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky plus with Broadband
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: sky broadband on but cannot connect wireless

hi

I have white macbook i got off ebay, worked fine until two days ago and now suddenly wont connect to sky router. I dont know what router i got its the white one just says netgear on back.

It is on channel 6 and has been working fine for last few months. It works when connected via ethernet.

My older clamshell ibook is still connected as soon as I turn it on and has no problems finding the network, but its just too slow and not powerful enough to run my assistive programs.

Anyway I connected macbook to ethernet to download 10.5.8 as it was meant to have a fix but its still not working, someone said that one only works when plugged in but still nothing.

I'm wanting to know how to go back to 10.5.7 as it was working fine 2 days ago I dont understand why its suddenly stopped been able to connect!

How do I change the macbook or router to channel 11 and if i do will it effect the iMac been able to get on internet via ethernet?

I wondered if running applejack would help it to find and fix the problem for me?

Kati

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't know much about Macs but try changing the Channel in the router. If it is on 6 you will probably have to change the Mode from Auto 108 to 'b&g' or 'g' only if your old machine supports it. Try all the channels from 1 up to 13.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Rory890 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I had the same problem with my iMac, and I changed the channel of the router to 6 and it works fine now.

To change the channel of your router, I did it with my other computer that does connect. Open a web browser and type the address "192.168.0.1". You will be prompted for a usename (admin) and password (sky). From there you can change the channel of your router.

Hope this helps

Skyboy3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

here seems to be some issues with Apple Airports and Sky. I have found that the technical support team don't really know macs. The following might help.

1) Click the airport icon on the right hand side of the top of the screen and open network preferences. Then turn airport off.

2) Click disconnect from wireless networks when logging out.

3) Delete the sky connection from the networks list by clicking -

4) Reboot the computer.

5) Open the terminal application (mac hd, applications, utilities then click terminal.) type dnscacheutil -flushcache and press enter. It is important to put the space between the first word and the hyphen.

6) Close terminal.

7) Switch airport back on

8) When you see the SSID (e.g Sky1234 unless you have changed it) select the network. The airport will ask you for the password, enter it. You will then see a message that asks you for the keychain password. Enter the password, this is normally the one you use to log in.

9) It should work.

I am waiting for second line to come back with some info. This is a solution that I have found myself. I think that the DNS cache on the Mac has problems with the router (leases not expiring)

10) If you also use a pc. to flush the DNS cache, click start, run then type cmd and press enter. A black dos box will appear. Type the following:
      ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Shut the box down by tying exit.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123