Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Says no Internet when there is!

This is a discussion on Says no Internet when there is! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Jose Cardoso Two things you can try. First, go into System Preferences, Network and then choose your ...

donelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jose Cardoso View Post
      Two things you can try. First, go into System Preferences, Network and then choose your method of connection. Under TCP/IP options you can disable IPv6 as most home routers don't even support it yet.

Secondly, you can try changing your DNS server from Sky's to Easynet's which is 212.135.1.36. I found this fixed a lot of lookup issues that I was experiencing. In my opinion there is something seriously wrong with Sky's DNS server.
      THanks, I'll try both of those things.

2. Advertisement
      donelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Does 212.135.1.3 go offline occasionally?

I could not get any response this morning for about 90 seconds.

Brokenwing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford (LWALSH)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I get the same and I think it's a problem with the router re-connecting, when I was with Eclipse I used to be told I had disconnected/reconnected every 6 seconds at times and i'd never noticed.

If Sky is getting the same maybe the router just isn't managing to re-connect straight away?

I've had to battle for half an hour or so to get the line back up and running (rebooting router, login on/off, totally disconnecting line from socket & powering down etc) seem's to have been like that since we had storms near heathrow

ickle yoda1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Says no Internet when there is!

I got a macbook about a month ago and get this problem once or twice per day. Hitting refresh usually fixes the problem. PC and XBOX360 and wii all appear to work fine.

Is it maybe just related to Safari, could using firefox solve the problem?

pdotoole is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get this all the time.

My router appears to be connected to the internet but I get the 'you are not connected' message several times a day. It seems worse at peak periods such as early evening - personally I think it's down to the Sky network not being able to cope. My Mac laptop works flawlessly connected to my work network, no drops all day. I bring it home and I get drops all the time.

Usually pinging www.appple.com will illustrate one of two things - either a very long time to resolve the IP address (this would mean Sky's DNS servers are overloaded) or unable to resolve host (this would mean Sky's network is down or overloaded)

Either way it looks to me like Sky's broadband service is oversubscribed. They need to invest in their infrastructure.

chris172 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just joined up in the last week and have noticed this happening to me about a dozen times. Seems to be early evening too. connecting via ethernet on a Mac/Safari/G4/10.4.10/1ghz/1.5gbram/720gbHDD

This appears to be an old problem judging by the first poster date.... Mmmm sure wishing I hadn't bothered with Sky afterall...although my connection seems to be adequate (7480) it is really slow!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12