Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Losing Connection To A Particular Site

This is a discussion on Losing Connection To A Particular Site within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I was using Chrome to access a site, then I get a message to say I have lost connection with ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Losing Connection To A Particular Site

I was using Chrome to access a site, then I get a message to say I have lost connection with the site. The site then throws me out, when I try to log back in again, it says I have the wrong password (I haven't)

I keep trying and it finally lets me in then I get the same problem

I try Firefox and it just hangs. When I check with the guys who run the site they say the problem is my end and they don't have any server or technical issues.

Their response was
      It could be because you need to delete the cache memory on your Firefox browser and log back in.

The site actually loads, so why am I losing connection, (the internet is running still as I can access other sites)

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Losing Connection To A Particular Site

Try deleting the caches as recommended
      In Chrome

• Click on the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
      • Select Tools.
      • Select Clear browsing data.
      • A dialogue window will appear, providing you with a list of checkboxes for the types of information that you wish to have removed.

In Firefox

• From the History menu, select Clear Recent History. ...
      • From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
      • Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear.

Just in case one of your add ons is causing the problem, try starting in Safe Mode.
      In firefox
      1. Click the menu button ,
      2. click help and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
      3. Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.

In Chrome
      1. Launch the Google Chrome browser.

2. Click the "Menu" icon in the toolbar.

3. Click "New Incognito Window" to open Chrome in Incognito mode with your extensions disabled. Chrome continues to run normally in the first window.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have done this, I have cleared the cache, I log back into the site, it works for five minutes then it loses connection.

I have swapped over to Safari, same problem there.

Really weird, it's like something or someone doesn't want me to use the site.

One browser yes, but when the problem is with three all doing the same, and they say there is no technical issues at their side.

My only other thought was server poisoning, or the dns. I use OpenDNS.

Another thought, I only had this problem after I installed Avast for the Mac.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I only had this problem after I installed Avast for the Mac.
      That is a clue. The latest version of Avast for Windows caused some problems, it is quite possible it is the same with the Mac version. Try turning off the active shields one at a time to see if one of them is the culprit. The Home Network Security shield was what caused the problems in Windows.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you very much for your time and assistance, I will do this, process of elimination

I have found the company on Facebook and sent them a message, they were quite helpful

Hi Brian, we'll ask the technical team to investigate this and we will get back to you via email as soon as possible. All we need is for you to send a message with your username.