Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Can someone check my Time Capsule set is correct?

This is a discussion on Can someone check my Time Capsule set is correct? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, so hi! Hoping someone out there can help me just clarify my network setup. ...

leec87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Can someone check my Time Capsule set is correct?

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, so hi! Hoping someone out there can help me just clarify my network setup.

As many others I've seen on here, I have a Time Capsule that I wish to use for all network operations (DHCP, forwarding, etc). I found a guide that suggested turning off DHCP on sky router, disabling all wifi and network things, and setting a static IP. Enable DHCP on the Time Capsule, and give itself a static IP. Connect the Sky router from ethernet port to the WAN port on Time Capsule. Enter the static IP of the Time Capsule into the DMZ host field on the Sky Router.

My IP Addresses are as follows:
      Sky Router: 10.0.0.1
      Time Capsule: 10.0.0.2
      DHCP Range: 10.0.0.100 - 10.0.0.200

The Internet, and IP assigning works fine, everything seems to work... but I want to know if my normal network traffic is just going from the device to the Time Capsule, or from the device, through the Time Capsule, to the Sky Router and back to the Time Capsule.

I was having very slow backup times to Time Capsule, simply because it was going through the Sky router for DHCP (which only has megabit ethernet connections).

So now I'm hoping to go from WiFi from my Mac Book Pro straight to Time Capsule.

Is there anything I can check?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Thanks

Re: Can someone check my Time Capsule set is correct?

No replies all day?

Hmm Is this forum not used very much? Wow!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What I would advise is returning the Sky router to its default address of 192.168.0.1 and turn off its DHCP server, and wireless. Give your time capsule an Static IP address in the Sky routers range, 192.168.0.2 would do and place this in the Sky routers DMZ. Set the TC DHCP to use a different address range 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.250 would do. This means your Time Capsule network is isolated from your Sky Router so you should have no 'feed back' through the Sky router when you are transferring files. If you have a look at this PDF it will give you a better idea of what is required. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/attachments/asking-help/2226d1299860880-using-dlink-dir613-setting-up-dlink-dir-613.pdf

Unfortunately we do not have full time workers on the forum, so replies are not always immediate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Thanks

You have other members though... isn't this te kind of site where ideas and things are shared between Sky users?

So anyway, in essence my set up is correct. You're just saying set the IP address of the Sky router to it's own 192.168 just to help distinguish it against the TC network?

Question, when setting the TC (i've set it with a static IP), it asks me for the IP address of the TC, and the router and DNS server... should both the router and DNS server be the TC or the Sky router? Bear in mind, the TC is handling DHCP.

Thanks

So anyway, in essence my set up is correct. You're just saying set the IP address of the Sky router to it's own 192.168 just to help distinguish it against the TC network?
      No the way you have it set up the TC and the Sky router are on the same network. To work properly they must be on separate distinct networks or you are going to get 'crosstalk' between the different devices.

If you have set the WAN/Internet side to use a Static address, let's say 192.168.0.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a Gateway of 192.168.0.1 then on your TC's IP address will be 10.0.0.1 and your DHCP server settings in that range, anything between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.254. That's using the addresses mentioned above.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Thanks

So what's the gateway in this instance, the Sky router? So you're saying...

Sky router IP - 192.168.0.1
      DMZ host - 192.168.0.2

TC IP - 192.168.0.2
      TC Subnetmask - 255.255.255.0
      Gateway - 192.168.0.1
      DNS - 192.168.0.1
      DHCP - 10.0.0.100-200 (I want to only have 100 dhcp addresses, and keep any static ones i choose well apart from these)

Something along those lines?
      Last edited by leec87; 19-03-14 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Edited IP addresses

Thanks

That's about it. The only thing I would add is that you can use whatever DNS servers you like, OpenDNS maybe? If you use the Sky router address you are going to be using the Sky DNS servers which not everyone likes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

malcky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hi folks,

Was wondering if this set up is still working for the Leec87 or if you configured it a different method?

Is this essentially turning the sky router into modem mode?

also, I will be setting up my 5th generation apple extreme in the method listed above but was wondering if because I have 2 apple 5th generation extremes that im wanting to set up, would the 2nd extreme get plugged into the 1st extreme and then set up in bridged mode?

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have my 2 x TC's set-up slightly differently here. The TC's are both in bridged mode, which essentially means both are just wireless access points. My Sky router (SR102) still acts as the DHCP server dishing out the internal IP's.

Time machine backups work well using this method.

Back to My Mac also works well this way with me being able to access either of the TC drives remotely when I'm not at home (I just needed to add a couple of port forwarding rules into the Sky router to allow this to work)

My Sky router is set to it's default 192.168.0.1 setting with both TC's having a fixed IP addy.

malcky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I had initially set up the 1st airport extreme in bridged mode, got internet and devices connected to the extreme but something must have gone wrong somewhere along the line for me as I lost the whole internet connection all the time.....never lasted more than an hour before the sky router lost the connection.....which prior to connecting the airport was rock solid for many months.

Im doing the airports to improve the wireless around my house.....no intention of using the sky router for wireless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast