Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

How Can This Happen?

This is a discussion on How Can This Happen? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I logged into one of the mailers I usually use, and when I went to post, (I am allowed to ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

How Can This Happen?

I logged into one of the mailers I usually use, and when I went to post, (I am allowed to send out a mailer every 48 hours as a Free Member) it said you have already made a post, wait another 48 hours. When I checked to see 'sent mailings' there was a mail sent at the same time by someone else!

So someone, somehow had hacked into my account, and they sent the mail the same time as I was about to send my mail.

I am deeply concerned now, I have Bitdefender Virus and Malware scanner running it hasn't picked up anything, I don't have wifi on, just ethernet.

So how can someone log into my account the same time as me and set up and send an email promoting their link for one of their programs?

I deleted my account instantly, as it had been compromised.

How is this possible?

This seems to be a worrying occurence with my internet supply.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: How Can This Happen?

There are many ways to gain the information required to get into someone's account.

Examples include hacked websites where many people use the same passwords as for their email accounts. Keyboard loggers is another old but popular option. Using a password that is easy to guess is another.

Simply put, security.

Use a variety of passwords which are not straight and simple to guess by using mixed case letters and numbers. Keep an eye on the news for information about sites which get hacked and never give your password/s to anyone else. Also install and use AV & Anti-Malware software.

Playing with my user ID, one password (and no it isn't one I use) might be: Scu8813g1rL

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms