Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Intrusion In Log Activity In Broadband set up

This is a discussion on Intrusion In Log Activity In Broadband set up within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Wow, thank you for that wealth of knowledge, I have already installed ClamXav I just need a malware product now, ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Intrusion In Log Activity In Broadband set up

Wow, thank you for that wealth of knowledge, I have already installed ClamXav I just need a malware product now, but what if I use a product that has both malware and antivirus, won't I be using two then? It is kinda complicated, knowing which one to use and if one only provides av, then what will work well with that one that has malware.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Basically no one product will work 100% of the time with 100% accuracy. There are nasties out there which are written to specifically disable your AV and Anti-Malware programs, so it can pay to use more than one if it requires a manual scan. It is not recommended to run two AV programs at the same time as it will slow down the computer to a crawl.

I use a blend of different programs on my own computers and those that I help friends with. This is born from experience and specific issues that couldn't be cracked with another program.

Personal preferences will come into it as well. Of course over time the people who compose the software also 'improve' things. This means that what works well for me today, may not work so well next week.

Tezcatlipoca knows the Macs better than myself and will be in a better position to recommend products. Personally I use a separate Anti-Malware program as it has proved better at removing some nasties that my main AV program which claims to have anti-malware capabilities.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I just downloaded Bitdefender Virus Scanner, seems its a AV and Malware product. I had to create an Appleid first before I was allowed to download the software. I ran it and it didn't pick anything up, it said my Mac is clean. So that's promising at least. I also unticked Java, so hopefully I've covered all bases. Thanks once again for your very helpful assistance, very much appreciated.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I have used Intego VirusBarrier since first switching to Macs several years ago. Seems to work well in terms of not being intrusive or disruptive to other processing. Subscription works out a bit cheaper when renewing for multiple years. Free products may be slightly behind the curve (compared to paid products) in terms of being up-to-date with detecting the latest threats but at present that's probably not so much of a dealbreaker in the Mac world compared to the Windows world. I suppose you make your choice and pay your money (or is it the other way around?)!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiebrian View Post
      Wow, thank you for that wealth of knowledge, I have already installed ClamXav I just need a malware product now, but what if I use a product that has both malware and antivirus, won't I be using two then? It is kinda complicated, knowing which one to use and if one only provides av, then what will work well with that one that has malware.
      Sorry, I should have been clearer - I used "anti-malware" as an umbrella term similar to how "anti-virus" is used. For my previous post, consider them the same.

What everyone calls "anti-virus" software detects far more than just viruses (usually), as they can also find e.g. trojans, keyloggers and other types of malware.

On Windows, you can also get software (such as the excellent Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as mentioned by Scubbie) that is aimed more/only at other malware rather than just at viruses or at viruses plus others.

With Macs, though, you don't tend to see much of that. I've only seen one programme that's aimed more at other malware than viruses, MacScan, but it's not had great reviews from what I have read.

Most Mac anti-malware / anti-virus software will detect a variety of different types of malware, whether they are viruses, trojans, or something else. Even if the programme is specifically called e.g. "<brand name> Anti-Virus 2012" it will in all likelihood detect more than just viruses (just like "anti-virus" software on Windows). I'm not sure if there even are any viruses in the wild that can infect a Mac. There are, however, various different trojans, as shown by the Flashback scare last year (probably the biggest Mac malware problem so far). Check though that whatever software you use does say that it detects more than just viruses, such as trojans etc.

Some software will only detect Mac malware, while others will also detect Windows malware (to protect against you downloading something that won't affect your Mac, but could affect the Windows PC of someone you email or share a file with).

When I said about just running one thing, I should have been more specific: Do not run more than one anti-virus / anti-malware (whatever name you want) programme that has real-time protection. Same thing as if you had Windows - programmes with real-time protection are always running in the background checking everything you download, open, or run, and so you should not have more than one as they can conflict.

I don't see anything wrong with running multiple ones that only have on-demand scanning, because they will only run when you tell them, rather than running all the time scanning everything in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiebrian View Post
      I just downloaded Bitdefender Virus Scanner, seems its a AV and Malware product. I had to create an Appleid first before I was allowed to download the software. I ran it and it didn't pick anything up, it said my Mac is clean. So that's promising at least. I also unticked Java, so hopefully I've covered all bases. Thanks once again for your very helpful assistance, very much appreciated.
      Disabling Java plugins for your browsers is a very good first step. I can't remember the last time I actually needed it on a website whether using a Mac or a Windows PC. The only reason I even have it installed (albeit with the browser plugins disabled of course) is that it's needed to run PS3 Media Server.

What version of OS X are you using?

Yeah, I have Bitdefender plus VirusBarrier Plus and ClamXav - all from the Mac App Store. They're all on-demand only. There's also a slightly more featured version of ClamXav available direct from the developer's website that has limited real-time scanning (it can watch specified folders, such as Downloads).

I don't have any real-time scanners at the moment, but have tried out several. The full version of VirusBarrier, as mentioned by speedyrite, is very good. I preferred that to Kaspersky and other paid software.

Of the free ones with real-time protection, I preferred Avira because of the issues I mentioned having with both Sophos and Avast. Simple and light, but it scores quite highly.

This is a good comparative review of a selection of Mac security software:

Mac Security Reviews

There's another comparison here:

Thomas' Tech Corner Mac anti-virus detection rates

Actually, that whole site is worth a read through:

Thomas' Tech Corner Mac Malware Guide
      speedyrite and Scubbie like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12