Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Suspicious Activity

This is a discussion on Suspicious Activity within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am the only user on my computer, and yet when I went to log in on Facebook, I found ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Suspicious Activity

I am the only user on my computer, and yet when I went to log in on Facebook, I found that someone had already logged in with their details, I actually had to log them out before I could log in myself

Surely that is a major security issue.

I certainly don't know the 'orla' who had signed into her account, and yet it was from my computer, looking at the geographical location

How on earth did she manage to open up her Facebook account on my computer? I use Firefox

After logging her out, I went and logged in my details and nothing has been changed.

Is this a Facebook problem, a Firefox problem or Has my computer been hacked, it's a Mac?

I use ethernet and not wireless and I am with Sky Unlimited Broadband

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Suspicious Activity

Geographic location does not mean much with Sky, but what could have happened is that someone else was logged in with the IP address you have now, so when you tried to log in the site thought it was the same person returning. With cookies, it should not happen, but you never know. You should never leave yourself permanently logged into any site unless you trust it implicitly. I don't trust any social media site, such as FB or Twitter.

If you have switched the wireless off on the router and no one else has physical access to your Mac, you will not be being hacked.
      wolfiebrian likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you...

"but what could have happened is that someone else was logged in with the IP address you have now, so when you tried to log in the site thought it was the same person returning"

Is that not a security hazard?

Is it best to keep clearing my cache and cookies, more than once a day?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is that not a security hazard?
      If Facebook really is doing that then I would say it is a risk, but not to you. I think you will have the sense to log out of such sites when you are not actually using them. The other user may have ticked something like 'keep me logged in all times' or something similar. I don't think you need worry, unless you have done the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for assistance, much appreciated.