Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iMac network key problem with netgear router

This is a discussion on iMac network key problem with netgear router within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all Could someone please help me out connecting wirelessly to my imac. It won't accept my network key what's ...

carl31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

iMac network key problem with netgear router

Hi all

Could someone please help me out connecting wirelessly to my imac.

It won't accept my network key what's always worked in the past. I am new to macs, it keeps on saying connection timeout or asks me to re enter the password. My iPhone connects fine to my netgear router.

It's driving me mad, please help !

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: iMac network key problem with netgear router

If you are using the default key make sure you are entering it in all capital letters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are using the default key make sure you are entering it in all capital letters.
      yeah it was all in caps everytime i tried. I am considering buying more homeplugs now for a wired connection.

Would this new sky hub give a much better wireless connection, i am also considering this as i have had the netgear router since day 1.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you are getting the time out error message this usually means the WiFi signal is too weak to connect to. How far away are your iMac and Sky router from each other?

One thing to try is go into your iMac wireless settings (under the Apple icon in the top left hand corner click on system preferences then click on network). Click on WiFi and then click advanced. You should see a list of wireless networks that you've connected to previously. If you have never used the WiFi before on your iMac, there will probably be nothing in the list here but if there is, delete everything you see in the list by highlighting each line then click the button with the minus sign on it below the list, once done click ok then hit apply back in the system prefs window. Re-scan your WiFi by clicking the WiFi fan icon towards the top right hand side of the screen near the time then try connecting it again.
      Last edited by James_Mitchell; 03-11-12 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

Would this new sky hub give a much better wireless connection, i am also considering this as i have had the netgear router since day
      The new Hub is wireless N (144mbps) so it should give you a better range and speed than the 834GT, which is super G. Its probably worth buying at the present price, especially if you are experiencing problems with wireless, the wireless is usually the first thing to go on the GT. Your new Mac will be wireless N so it will be OK, but you may have to upgrade anything else you have to make full use of the new router..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

i find particularly on macs this issue can be caused by dhcp g into network setting under system preferences switch off dhcp reboot and switch back on and usually connects first time

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the comments all. I ended up fixing the problem by logging into the router settings and choosing one of the sky suggested channels 1,6 or 11. My router was on channel 9 and i thinks thats why the router or mac couldnt connect with the IP address. I changed it to 6 and it connected with a full wireless signal, If anyone else is having the same problem hopefully this will solve it

Thanks

We usually recommend downloading and using Inssider(link below) to find the best channel available. It may be worth your while doing this as you might find an even better channel. Channel 6 is not usually the best as it is overlapped by 7, which is used by many BT Home Hubs.

TomD

Useful Utilites