Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lion Server and VPN Port Forwarding not working

This is a discussion on Lion Server and VPN Port Forwarding not working within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi any help on this would be appreciated! I run a sky Sagem router (no idea what model as it ...

The Simps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Lion Server and VPN Port Forwarding not working

Hi any help on this would be appreciated!

I run a sky Sagem router (no idea what model as it doesn't say on the unit) with wifi switched off. It is then connected by ethernet to an Airport Extreme in bridge mode running regular & 5GHz networks.

My MacMini running Lion Server is connected by ethernet to the Sky router and also by wifi to AE 5GHz. The server side of things is a .private and set up as connected via ethernet. Apple firewall is off.

On the Sky router I have IP reservations for both the MacMini Server and the AE, this works fine. I have tried creating services and using the pre-listed services for VPN port forwarding on 1701 but no joy whatsoever. On using port testing tools it says its not open. Ive followed various guides on various sites to set up port forwarding and confident the router settings are correct. I've even tried opening all ports and doing a test and it still shows as no ports open at the routers IP address.

I could potentially have a router issue but not wanting to spend money on a new one from sky to find out I haven't! I've seen in several other threads that people just cant get port forwarding to work but so many do! But there never seems to be an explanation as to why!

Please please help me here.
      Simon.

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Re: Lion Server and VPN Port Forwarding not working

Port 1701 is one of the ports used for L2TP tunnels, and this specific port would be UDP rather than TCP. Have you configured the Sagem to forward UDP rather than TCP?

If you are comfortable with the terminal, have you examined the output of `netstat -ano`, to ensure the mac is actually listening on those ports? or even tried port the ports scanning the ports (from inside your network) using something like nmap (Nmap - Free Security Scanner For Network Exploration & Security Audits.).

Exchange:
      Thanks

Firstly thanks for your reply.

Port 1701 is the port that corresponds with the L2TP service set up on Server. Yes I am aware that there are also two others but I was under the impression that they were different services to what I am using (IPSEC:500 and PPTP:1723)

The pre-select option on firewall list has TCP & UDP selected. As a back up I created to rules of my own for 1701 under both TCP & UDP individually in a bit to get things working.

I've never used terminal before if I'm honest but more than happy to give it a go? As VPN service is switched on in the Server settings app won't the mac then know to listen for that service?

I scanned the IP address of my router (192.168.100.1) under the Apple Network Utility Port Scan tab. the results are as follows:-

ort Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 192.168.100.1

Open TCP Port: 21 ftp
      Open TCP Port: 23 telnet
      Open TCP Port: 53 domain
      Open TCP Port: 80 http
      Open TCP Port: 5431 park-agent
      Port Scan has completed…

Reading up on other mac forums about Lion Server & VPN, so many people seem to have problems getting it up and running correctly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Installed NMAP and scanned TCP & UDP ports. This was report:

ORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
      21/tcp open tcpwrapped
      23/tcp open tcpwrapped
      53/tcp open domain dnsmasq 2.23
      | dns-nsid:
      |_ bind.version: dnsmasq-2.23
      80/tcp open http?
      |_http-title: 401 Unauthorized
      | http-auth:
      | HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
      |_ Basic realm=DSL Router
      5431/tcp open upnp Belkin/Linksys wireless router UPnP (Linux 2.4; UPnP 1.0; BRCM400 1.0)
      53/udp open domain dnsmasq 2.23
      |_dns-recursion: Recursion appears to be enabled
      | dns-nsid:
      |_ bind.version: dnsmasq-2.23
      67/udp open|filtered dhcps
      69/udp open|filtered tftp
      1900/udp open upnp?
      | upnp-info:
      Last edited by The Simps; 09-08-12 at 03:27 PM.