Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad?

This is a discussion on SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; It is possible the problem is caused by the router working too well. I believe the iPad is set to ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad?

It is possible the problem is caused by the router working too well. I believe the iPad is set to always look for an internet connection, so it may be it that is initializing the 30sec look up. You could also try putting it into Airplane mode which should stop this, if that is what is happening.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is possible the problem is caused by the router working too well. I believe the iPad is set to always look for an internet connection, so it may be it that is initializing the 30sec look up. You could also try putting it into Airplane mode which should stop this, if that is what is happening.
      Having lived with the 2504n for a few weeks now, I definitely preferred the old Netgear V1. It's a pity Sky didn't also get the firmware for that one "bodged up" for fibre!

As for airplane mode, I only tend to use this at the cinema. The thing about iPads and iPhones is that, when you've been using them for a while, you just get so used to grabbing it and using it very, very frequently - it's just so convenient with the internet connection always being on. I reckon I use my laptop a fair bit less than I used to, using the iPhone instead for quick lookups. I think having to keep putting it in and out of airplane mode would totally ruin the user experience. Switching off the iTunes wi-fi sync is bad enough for me as I've got used to not having to dock the iPhone to sync (I listen to a lot of podcasts and get several new ones per day) instead letting the wi-fi sync do its stuff when I plug the iPhone in to charge at bedtime.

Ah well, the joys of technology eh?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

If you use Twitter on your iPhone then it will likely always be connected to WiFi, I have noticed the inbuilt Twitter app is very responsive. I tested with a friend and even on standby, the notifcation from a reply/direct message ect. is dead instant, so it must be regularly sending pings.

PappySweetPeaSpud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Having lived with the 2504n for a few weeks now, I definitely preferred the old Netgear V1. It's a pity Sky didn't also get the firmware for that one "bodged up" for fibre!

Ah well, the joys of technology eh?
      My next line of investigation is to see how my iPad performs on a friends WiFi, Sky and not Sky - this should certainly clarify things and maybe discount or pinpoint the Sagem router ;-)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am conducting an experiment today to get to the bottom of this.

My theory is that the root cause of this problem is the behaviour of the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router (because the problem was not happening at all before upgrading the router from Netgear SKy V1 when I got SFU).

So, early this morning, I swapped out the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router for an alternative router and I have turned on iTunes wi-fi sync for my iPhone.

The iPhone was fully charged overnight to 100% so starts the day fresh as an iDaisy.

Now I am waiting to see whether or not the rapid battery drain issue re-occurs.

If the rapid battery drain issue occurs today, then the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router would seem to stand wrongly accused.

Otherwise, Judge Judy-Ann Executioner shall find the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router guilty as charged and take it to a place to be stored at Her Majesty's pleasure until it has a think coating of dust (the garage)!

I'll update this thread with my findings later today.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

6 hours later: iPhone 3GS battery at 95% - iPhone 3GS system log shows absolutely no sign of wakeup packets received from router every 30 to 60 seconds (which was preventing the wireless from sleeping when the iPhone went into standby).

As far as I'm concerned, this proves that the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router was the root cause of the problem - it wasn't happening with the old Netgear Sky V1 router when I was on Sky ADSL and it's not happening now on Sky Fibre with an alternative router.

Avoid this problem by using a different router - case closed.
      Scubbie and Runwaypimp like this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its hard to see why this is happening, the router will poll for UPnP but only every half hour or whatever the polling period is set to. Why does it not happen with Androids?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Dunno about Androids, but the evidence of my testing leaves me in no doubt that the 2504n was the culprit for the iDevice. Let's hope I don't have to revert back to it.

Thanks

Whilst using various friends wifi connections I can also confirm that the issue is not present, battery life on he iPad is fine with ios 5.1.1.

The Sagem2504n is guilty of this issue. Shame as it has very good range & a good signal.

Anyone know how we can get Sky to resolve this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      6 hours later: iPhone 3GS battery at 95% - iPhone 3GS system log shows absolutely no sign of wakeup packets received from router every 30 to 60 seconds (which was preventing the wireless from sleeping when the iPhone went into standby).

As far as I'm concerned, this proves that the Sagemcom F@st2504n (Fibre) router was the root cause of the problem - it wasn't happening with the old Netgear Sky V1 router when I was on Sky ADSL and it's not happening now on Sky Fibre with an alternative router.

Avoid this problem by using a different router - case closed.
      Can I ask what router you're now using? I've got used to turning off the wifi on my iPad but I'd rather not have. Either I get a new wireless n router or Sky fix he firmware. Hundreds of folk must have hit this issue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast