Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad?

This is a discussion on SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thanks for all the replies so quick. I have tried today turning off both iTunes over Wi-Fi sync & turn ...

PappySweetPeaSpud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SAGEM 2504n transmitting frequent Wakeup / Wakeon Lan packets to iPad?

Thanks for all the replies so quick.

I have tried today turning off both iTunes over Wi-Fi sync & turn off UPnP in the router, problem still there.

The wakeup packet is still being seen in the system log every 30s. That App I found enables you to look at the system log is called 'System Status', I used the paid version, there is a lite version but not sure what is disabled in there. Shows lots of stuff on processes, network and memory usage. You can't kill any processes, but it is certainly useful for this kind of issue.

I wouldn't say having to turn off Wi-Fi is a 'Solution' to this problem, it's a circumvention, a bit annoying, but better than losing your battery.

Does anyone know how we can get Sky to check if this is a Sagem router firmware issue? I know the Sky firmware hides a lot of the parameters from you. You can save the router config, but you need a manual to explain all the setting and I can't find one online for the 2504n.

Thanks again for the posts, good to know other folk have encountered this also.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Have you tried turning off wireless sync in iTunes for your iPhone. I did this and my battery life increased but have noticed that over the last few weeks it has been draining a bit faster but nowhere near as much as before i turn off wireless sync. Give it a go
      Forgot to say, I have turned off wireless sync in iTunes as a controlled test to see if I get any improvement as you have had and will report back later!

Having said that, I've had wireless sync enabled since it became an option and it wasn't previously a problem.

I'm still very suspicious that the 2504n Fibre router is the culprit because the problem first started on the day that I swapped the router when I got SFU. Nothing else has changed here since then. Working in IT as I do, I tend to be very sensitive to looking at "what's changed" as part of my standard troubleshooting process!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Forgot to say, I have turned off wireless sync in iTunes as a controlled test to see if I get any improvement as you have had and will report back later!

Having said that, I've had wireless sync enabled since it became an option and it wasn't previously a problem.

I'm still very suspicious that the 2504n Fibre router is the culprit because the problem first started on the day that I swapped the router when I got SFU. Nothing else has changed here since then. Working in IT as I do, I tend to be very sensitive to looking at "what's changed" as part of my standard troubleshooting process!
      i forgot to mention that my iPad and phone are connected to my AEBS and the sky router is only handling DHCP

Thanks
      Blog Entries

i forgot to mention that my iPad and phone are connected to my AEBS and the sky router is only handling DHCP
      Similar to me then, iPhone connects to a wireless N access point and Sky router is handling DHCP only (wireless is off).

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Similar to me then, iPhone connects to a wireless N access point and Sky router is handling DHCP only (wireless is off).
      in that case you should find that if you have wireless sync off when you have your iPhone in standby mode it should disappear from the attached devices on the sky router. Also when you wake your iPhone you should see that the wireless for a second or two is disconnected. My iPad however does not do this, my iPad is the wireless only version however.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

in that case you should find that if you have wireless sync off when you have your iPhone in standby mode it should disappear from the attached devices on the sky router. Also when you wake your iPhone you should see that the wireless for a second or two is disconnected. My iPad however does not do this, my iPad is the wireless only version however.
      That was how it was when I was using the Sky Netgear V1 router pre-SFU.

Since getting the 2504n, the iPhone shows up on the router summary page and the attached devices list as cabled - and it even shows up when it is standby! It is in fact connected wirelessly to the WAP. The WAP has a static IP address. The WAP is a Devolo dLAN AV200 Wireless N, so it's connected to the router via power line ethernet. The 2504n router's wireless is off.

Using the very nice System Status app (paid version), I can browse the system log on the iPhone which shows that it receives a wakeup packet about every 30 seconds. This is the same as the OP reported, but I think he is using the 2504n's wireless.

PappySweetPeaSpud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That was how it was when I was using the Sky Netgear V1 router pre-SFU.

Since getting the 2504n, the iPhone shows up on the router summary page and the attached devices list as cabled - and it even shows up when it is standby! It is in fact connected wirelessly to the WAP. The WAP has a static IP address. The WAP is a Devolo dLAN AV200 Wireless N, so it's connected to the router via power line ethernet. The 2504n router's wireless is off.

Using the very nice System Status app (paid version), I can browse the system log on the iPhone which shows that it receives a wakeup packet about every 30 seconds. This is the same as the OP reported, but I think he is using the 2504n's wireless.

I'm just using the standard Sky setup of Fibre modem connected to the Sagem2504n.

That's interesting as my iPhone4 at ios 5.1.1 does not get the wakeup every 30s when on Wi-Fi, but the iPad does, how odd. Clearly something is triggering the router to do this, I think this has to be a firmware issue in the router as the 2504n is sending the wakeup packet. Or perhaps it is something in how ios 5.1.1 negotiates the connection that triggers something.

I think this is one only Sky and/or Apple can resolve.

Is there an official route to submit defects to either organisation?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Agreed. My suspicion is the Sky router which is locked down tight. No idea about the official route to submit defects to Sky - I suspect there isn't one!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is there a setting in the iPad which allows you to turn off/on WOL? Most devices have this disabled by default, but the iPad may have it enabled. This would explain why the iPad seems to be the only device to suffer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      No sign of any way to disable WOL on the iPhone (probably not on iPad either as I guess the UI is fairly common).

Anyway I have trialled andrewjr's suggestion (turn off iTunes wi-fi sync) for the past 24 hours and I can confirm that this has stopped the rapid battery drain. Probably because it's no longer receiving wakeup packets every 30 seconds!

I'm still puzzled about why this only started to happen since the day of changing the router from Sky Netgear V1 to the 2504n Fibre, hence my suspicion that router behaviour is the cause.

The Netgear seemed to know when the iPhone was in standby and didn't list it as attached when it was in standby - the 2504n seems to keep sending wakeup packets every 30 seconds and always lists it as attached (even when it's in standby).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast