Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange router issues - please help!!

This is a discussion on Strange router issues - please help!! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, This is my first time here and I don't know an awful lot about computers so apologies in ...

StueyEd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange router issues - please help!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I don't know an awful lot about computers so apologies in advance for stupid questions!

I'm having some strange problems which have come out of no-where. Everything was just fine until yesterday, but since then, without me having changed anything, my setup is suffering from the following symptoms:

I should stress that I have isolated this down to a problem with router settings, the router itself or Sky, as the exact same symptoms are present in my Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and iPhone.

1) Certain web pages take forever to load or won't load at all. Google and bing results will flash up instantly and some other websites are normal, but loading certain websites, the blue bar on Safari gets so far then stops. Sometimes the blue bar then disappears and the grey spinning cog apears at the end of the progress bar indefinitely. I have tried Firefox and the issue IS NOT just with Safari, but all browsers.

2) When trying to connect to the Mac App Store, I get the grey spinning wheel for ages before I simply end up with a blank app store pane with a message in the centre saying "Cannot connect to the App Store".

3) When I try and connect to the iTunes Store, I get the "Accessing iTunes Store" progress bar at the top for ages until I get a box pop up saying "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

4) Some of my widgets on the dashboard are refusing to load data from the web.

These symptoms are intermittent, every so often they just disappear and everything works fine, but about 95% of the time, it's doing the above and I'm pulling my hair out!

Is anyone able to talk me through what the problem might be and help me check that my router is configured correctly please?! I'd be really grateful!!

I'm using the D-link router that looks like a little Sky+ HD box and I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited.
      Last edited by StueyEd; 14-05-12 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Strange router issues - please help!!

This only start happening last night or thereabouts? Also, are you in the North West region?

Seen a lot of customers getting this issue, despite it not being listed on Sky's status pages. It's definitely network related (on Sky's end) in one way or another.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (14-05-12),StueyEd (14-05-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah I am NW based and it started yesterday afternoon for me.

That ties in with what you're saying so if it's a problem with Sky I guess I just hang on and see if it fixes itself in the next couple of days. If not, I'll call and complain!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Ringing up can be hit or miss with these types of issues. I'd maybe suggest just voicing your concerns on the 'official' (yet very poorly ran) Sky forums, specifically on the thread linked below.

Sky Help Forum - Website Issues - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Perhaps one of the Sky 'knowledge' advisors that address customer issues can then put two and two together. The more people complaining about it, the better.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That said it's curious how it's only effecting certain websites - Many websites work flawlessly - this one included!

But specific sites fail to load every time and it's not just a couple of sites - none of the following will work for me: iTunes store, Mac App Store, BBC News, Apple UK, John Lewis, MapMYFitness, Nike, Facebook, Amazon, eBay.

Whilst Youtube, Google, Bing all work fine.

Do the services / websites that aren't working have anything in common that might explain the situation?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Ringing up can be hit or miss with these types of issues. I'd maybe suggest just voicing your concerns on the 'official' (yet very poorly ran) Sky forums, specifically on the thread linked below.

Sky Help Forum - Website Issues - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Perhaps one of the Sky 'knowledge' advisors that address customer issues can then put two and two together. The more people complaining about it, the better.

OK - I'll do that now!

MerseyRay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am in Southport and I am experiencing the same problems that you have.

This page loaded fine... facebook, amazon, itunes and lots of others are having major issues loading.

I have done a tracert to a few of them, and the results are all very similar:

1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
      2 26 ms 27 ms 26 ms cr0.lcsou.uk.easynet.net [195.189.159.229]
      3 * * * Request timed out.

Sky will be getting a call off me tomorrow morning too.

MerseyRay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It does seem to be Sky's DNS Servers.
      I have reconfigured my laptop to use the openDNS Servers and its working as it should.

For anybody that wants to try the same.

Go into your TCP/IP settings, and manually enter the dns and alternate dns settings to theses:

Sky, sort it out !

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

These Google DNS are better and work well for me...

Try these...

setaynivek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I have the same issues. I've been playing email ping pong with Sky for days now. They are either deliberately ignorant or really stupid. Again in the North West, cannot access itunes store, BBC websites but others are fine. they are obsessed with changing my Mac but ignore the fact that 3 PCs, 2 smart phones and one Apple TV also have the same issue.

I know its a long post but here's the jist so far. The latest is the top one. I've actually replied with the link to this thread.

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to browse some websites like BBC. I understand your concern and hope my reply below clarifies your concern.
      I also appreciate that you have tried some procedures, though they were unable to fix this issue.
      I would request you to try after performing some steps :
      • Please confirm PC's date and timing settings are correct and amend if required.
      • Kindly disable your system's firewall.
      • Are you trying to connect to VPN (Virtual Private Network).
      • Does your IP adress begins with 176.24.X.X
      Original Message Follows: ------------------------
      Having checked all my previous emails did you notice that it isn't just my mac that has the problem. It already is DHCP.

I apologise fo the inconvenience caused regarding access certain websites. I will certainly help
      you with this issue.
      Having checked all your previous emails, I notice that you have tried all the troubleshooting steps
      that we had advised on your Apple Mac. I request you to follow the below mentioned steps:

For Mac OSX (Leopard/Snow Leopard) & Mac OSX (Tiger
      1.Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner of the screen and click System preferences.
      2. Select Network. (This will open a new window)
      3. Click Ethernet.
      4. From the Configure IPv4 drop down, select Using DHCP.
      I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can
      respond to my email.

It hasn't worked but maybe its not my Mac / iPad / apple TV/ Smart Phone / PC x 3 that's the problem. Why can I access Sky news for example but not BBC news, or itunes store... maybe its a DNS problem.

Having checked your account, I see that your broadband is active. I would request to follow the below mention steps to get sorted:
      1. Open Safari.
      2. Click on Safari then on Reset Safari.
      A pop up box will appear asking for confirmation.
      3. Click the Reset button.
      4. Browse to google.com and run a search. For example, Sky.
      If search results were displayed you are connected to the internet.
      After releasing and renewing the IP address can you browse?
      For Mac OSX ( leopard/Snow leopard)
      1. Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner of the screen and click System Preferences.
      2. Select Network.
      3. In the new window, click Ethernet.
      4. Click advanced then renew DHCP lease.
      5. Open a browser, go to google.com, and run a search. For example, Sky.

For Mac OSX (Tiger)

1. Click on the Apple in the top left hand corner of the screen and click System Preferences.
      2. Select Network.

3. In the new window, click Built-in Ethernet.
      4. Click configure then renew DHCP lease.
      5. Open a browser, go to google.com, and run a search. For example, Sky.
      If you are still unable to connect please contact Pc support, it will be rectify with DNS problem.
      I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
      I have a number of devices both wireless and wired and all have the same problem. It is a DNS problem with Internet. If I use my proxy server which I normally use when abroad and select a UK proxy then I can access the BBC website. It's the same problem whether I use safari, chrome or Firefox. I also can no longer access iTunes either on my Mac, pc or apple tv yet I can still access most other websites

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I understand you are unable to connect the Broadband and website. I will do my best to resolve with this issue.
      Having checked your account, I see that your broadband is active and working fine it is best speed which is applied in your broadband line. I hope my below reply clarifies position for you.
      In order to help you to resolve your connection difficulties, please reply to this email with the following information so that we can provide the most appropriate advice :-

• The type of computer you are using (PC or Apple Mac)
      • Which operating system you are using
      • How many computers you have connected to your Sky Broadband Box
      • The colour of the Internet Light on your Sky Broadband Box (green, amber or off)
      • Whether you are trying to connect by Ethernet cable or by a wireless connection
      • If you are connected wirelessly, the make and model of the wireless adaptor or card you are using
      I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast