Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet connection dropping every 30mins

This is a discussion on Internet connection dropping every 30mins within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Over the past several weeks we have been experiencing intermittent WiFi disconnections. This has peaked today in which the connection ...

Tcib is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Internet connection dropping every 30mins

Over the past several weeks we have been experiencing intermittent WiFi disconnections. This has peaked today in which the connection has dropped every 10 minutes or so. I've rebooted which seems to have offered a current spell of stability.
      Since this problem has started I have changed my modem from a Belkin to a T-Link TDW8960N, I have changed all cables too.
      My UK ISP is SKY and I have been a customer of theirs for three years at different addresses and never experienced a problem. Unfortunately because I no longer used their modem, they will not offer support bar check the line and they see no issues.
      The thing is the problem persists even though all equipment has been upgraded and I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. Until my other half stated that this all coincided with us getting an Apple TV, which also coincides with me getting an iPhone 4S which also coincides with the upgrade to iOS 5 on my iPad and her iPhone 4.
      Devices connected by wifi: iMac, Apple TV 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 1, iPad 2, Xbox 360, Wii.
      Devices connected by Ethernet: Xbox 360, PS3
      Can devices disrupt Wifi? Our connection never turns red on the modem but it is lost across all devices when it happens.
      Any tips would be very much welcomed.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Internet connection dropping every 30mins

There are many things that can interfere with your WiFi connection. A quick list of possibilities is as follows:

• some TVs
      • Microwave ovens
      • AV Senders working on the 2.4GHz frequency
      • Other routers
      • failing router or PSU

This is not an extensive list as there other things which operate on or close to the 2.4GHz frequency.

With regards to other routers, it is perhaps a good idea to download and install inSSIDer. This tool can help you to see the pattern of other WiFi routers close to where you live. Armed with this information you can then attempt to change your router's WiFi channel to one that appears to be better.

The ideal channels are 1, 6, 11 and 13. It might be that you need to experiment with each channel to find the best for you.

If your WiFi signal drops & rises on a regular basis, check with another computer to confirm. I have seen the signal on one router fluctuate on one computer, but not another.

The PSU is a fairly standard device on most routers. Check the specs and see if you happen to have a spare one to hand. Try it for a short period and see if all is well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi there and thank you for your input.
      I've downloaded what I could find for a Mac which seems to be the same: WiFi Scanner.
      I was on Channel 1. There are three other routers which occupy channels 1, 6 and 11.
      I've therefore allocated ours to Channel 13.

There is a new telephone that we have but we bought this within past couple of weeks and the problem existed prior to that. There isn't any new equipment bar the aforementioned Apple products, which you would imagine wouldn't affect WiFi unless there was a problem with either the device or the iOS update(?)

When you mention PSU, I would imagine you mean Power Supply Unit? Would that be correct.

Thanking you.

Thanks

Yes PSU does mean Power Supply Unit.

With regards to other things which could interfere with the WiFi, it might be something next door perhaps.

Whilst changing the channel to the most obvious clearest channel will often help, sadly this isn't always the case. My original Sky router (Netgear DGN934G) had issues with the WiFi and I managed to get a Sagem 2304n to replace it.

I now use the DGND3700 instead and as far as the WiFi is concerned, it is great.

I also have a large number of WiFi routers in reach of where I live, so finding a clear channel is near impossible.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fortunately there is only one other resident in close proximity and the businesses only operate during standard business hours although their modems are on at all times.

Even more fortunately (he says cautiously) is that the selection of channel 13 seems to have done the trick.

I really do not see why Sky couldn't have just politely had an aside with me and suggest I try that rather than leave me contemplating leaving them due to my problem.

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Thanks

No problem.

Some of the support staff do suggest changing the WiFi channels in some cases.

One of the advantages of a forum like this is that we have more time to digest the issues and try different things to find out what works.