Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

network set up

This is a discussion on network set up within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I want to make sure I have the correct settings for my ethernet connection for my Sky internet, to make ...

wolfie34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

network set up

I want to make sure I have the correct settings for my ethernet connection for my Sky internet, to make sure I am not being 'piggybacked' and that my 'internet connection is safe'

I have been recommended using a program openDNS which I used
      208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

But now it can't find my IP address and it is now unknown state under location of automatic.

I take it the IP address is only unique to me, yet according to openDNS it registers my IP address as completely different to the one which is set up in the network?

What should the correct settings be to access sky please

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: network set up

OpenDNS is nothing to do with someone piggybacking you. If you're not using WiFi easiest thing is to just turn it off - then no one can get on without an Ethernet cable
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: network set up

I take it the IP address is only unique to me, yet according to openDNS it registers my IP address as completely different to the one which is set up in the network?
      Your IP address is unique to you and you can't 'set' it, it is allocated by the ISPs servers. I think you are getting mixed up with your Public and Private IPs. The former is allocated by the ISP and with Sky will be something like 90.210.238.xxx. or 2.90.216.xxx. or similar. Your Private address is the one you use within your network and most commonly will be 192.168.0.xxx. This address is not unique to you and is used by many, but as it is Private and only accessible within your network, this does not matter.

You can find the Public address under the ADSL Port in your router's status page. You will also see a MAC address, this is unique to your router and is sent out as an identifier to the next router(in the exchange), which in turn passes its MAC on to the next router on the chain leading to the internet.

You can find the Private address you are using at any particular time by opening a Command Prompt and typing ipconfig and hitting Enter. Your address is shown under ethernet/wireless adapter IPv4 address. If you are using Automatic configuration, this address can change depending on what you have connected to the router and when you connect to it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.