Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why does my Sky broadband keep kicking my Apple and Windows devices off?

This is a discussion on Why does my Sky broadband keep kicking my Apple and Windows devices off? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok so I have recently joined Sky broadband and I am getting fairly good speeds for my area. When I ...

SamuelCB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01736
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Why does my Sky broadband keep kicking my Apple and Windows devices off?

Ok so I have recently joined Sky broadband and I am getting fairly good speeds for my area. When I am using my broadband on a single device it works fine and it also works fine when using it via the ethernet cable.

My problem is that in my house I have a iMac, 2 iPhones, 2 iPod touches, 2 windows laptops, an Apple TV, a nintendo Wii, a Mac book and a Xbox 360. (A lot I know :P) so when I have one of these devices connected it is fine, however as soon as I connect a few of these devices then everything just goes completely wrong!! When I am downloading on iTunes on my iMac then NO other devices can connect to the wireless router, and if I connect a windows computer to the network it seems to kick all the Apple devices off and vice versa.

I am studying IT and Networking at college so I am not a complete noob, however this one has me baffled. I do not have the default SSID or security code set on the router as I have changed them but the network key is still set as WEP and UPnP is turned off. If anybody has any idea what is going on then please let me know asap .........Thanks!!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why does my Sky broadband keep kicking my Apple and Windows devices off?

You have checked obvious things like manual IPs I take it, this shouldn't happen obviously, we have PCs and Iphone devices all hooked up at the same time so this is definitely not normal behaviour.
      How many of these items are wirelessly connecting at any one time?

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Have you tried setting reserved IP's in the router for each device?

Why are you using WEP as I thought that was quite easy to crack?

What IP range is allowed in the Router DHCP Server have you restricted it from default?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I think they mean WPA as unless they've manually changed it won't be on WEP (although some old Macs only work on WEP from experience)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket