Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iMac + Netgear DG834GT = very slow

This is a discussion on iMac + Netgear DG834GT = very slow within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; (I realise I may have posted this into a different room before, but this one seems more appropriate - apologies). ...

bigdavemc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mortlake, London
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thumbs down iMac + Netgear DG834GT = very slow

(I realise I may have posted this into a different room before, but this one seems more appropriate - apologies).

Hi Guys,

I've unpacked and installed my 27.5" iMac yesterday evening. Noticed that YouTube was slow, as was downloading Skype, Chrome etc. Wife complained that the internet for her computer appeared not to be available whilst I was trying to download on the iMac.

Performing tests to the same server at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test reveals the following, all sat at the same desk and all within 2 or 3 minutes of each other:

o - Brand new iMac 27.5 i7 processor 12GB RAM but download rates of 0.56Mb/s (my upload is faster at 0.92Mb/s!)
      o - iPhone 4 yields 9.71Mb/s (via Speedtest.net iPhone App)
      o - Sony Vaio SZ1/Windows XP returns 8.98Mb/s

Remember, these are all from the same desk in the room directly above where the router is. The router is a Netgear DG834GT and Sky are my ISP. My downstream connection speed is reported as 14,328kbps. It is running in 'g only' mode (tried with b+g too).

In summary, the only device with the issue here is the Mac.

I called Apple Customer Care this morning and worked with two guys there to isolate where the problem is.

After resetting many of the iMac/OSX settings and then sharing files between my iMac and another Mac on the same network (over Wi-Fi) we were still witnessing slow throughput (but files shared between other machines were fine).

The support guy then asked me to try using another Mac (a MacBook) to connect directly to the router using an Ethernet cable, and then to configure internet connection sharing (essentially, configuring the MacBook to be a Wireless Access Point). Now, when I associate my iMac to the MacBook wireless network rather than the router's wireless network, I get perfect download speeds (upwards of 11Mb/s).

This breakthrough indicates an incompatibility between the iMac's Wi-Fi adapter and the Sky/Netgear router. Apple said they were unable to help from this point on as they'd proven that the iMac's Wi-Fi adapter wasn't at fault.

Incidentally, I've also installed Windows 7 (x64) via Bootcamp onto the same iMac but achieve the same speeds, even after a driver update. The Wi-Fi adapter shows in Windows as an Atheros AR928X device. I'm going to do some more research to see what else I can find.

There's very little in the way of configuration that I can do on the Netgear Router (I've tried with and without encryption, changed channel), so I'm at a loss as to where I can go next.

Has anybody any further suggestions: should I flash some new software onto the router (it still has the default with which it shipped, V1.03.87) or look into procuring a new one (either through Sky directly, or from PC World and find the username/password)?

Many thanks for your time guys,

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: iMac + Netgear DG834GT = very slow

And over Ethernet you get??...

EDIT: See you get more over Ethernet so you're looking at a wireless issue...I assume changing channels had no effect?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

bigdavemc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mortlake, London
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thanks for your response.

So, just to prove the point, I've now disabled the wireless on my iMac and connected it via Ethernet and I'm getting an impressive 12.14Mb/s download and 0.96Mb/s up - as it should be.

Changing channel from 6 to 11 didn't make any difference at all.

(in fact, the Ethernet connection is to a laptop with Internet Connection Sharing enabled using its wireless adapter to connect to the Netgear router - kinda reinforces the point even more).

I'm out of thoughts on how to proceed with this - there's no further tinkering I can do with the iMac's Wi-Fi adapter and we've proven that it works just fine when talking to another device, just not to the Netgear router.

Cheers,

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Please reply in this thread
      iMac > Netgear DG834GT Woes

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

monkified is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

my mac did the same all i did was change the wirless security toMixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK and changed the mode to 130 mbps from 270 and now it works fine

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkified View Post
      my mac did the same all i did was change the wirless security toMixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK and changed the mode to 130 mbps from 270 and now it works fine
      The DG834GT (And all other sky routers) do not support rates of 130mbps/270. They are wireless G, in addition only the latest D-Link router presently supports WPA2

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB