Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Speeds, slow loading pages and disconnections!!

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds, slow loading pages and disconnections!! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all Sorry to start another new thread, I'm sure this place doesnt need more and more popping up, but ...

Chrispyphillips is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenfig Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow Speeds, slow loading pages and disconnections!!

Hi all

Sorry to start another new thread, I'm sure this place doesnt need more and more popping up, but didnt want to post in an already existing for fear of some things being overlooked!!

I have recently taken out the full sky package (including standard talk, and the top braodband package) but am having issues so to speak with speeds etc.

Set up is as thus. There is NO BT Master test socket in my house (at least none i can find) which is strange as it was built in 2001!! There is a normal port in the front room, dining room, master bedroom and spare bedroom. There are no others that I can find. They all have adsl filters attached.

In the front room we use my girlfriends macbook and upstairs we use my imac. I took readings of the speeds this morning before leaving for work so I could post them up. They are:

Downstairs MacBook
      DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2045 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0db 27.5db
      Noise Margin 9.3db 16.0db

Upstairs imac
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2045 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.0db 27.5db
      Noise Margin 9.1db 16.0db

Not much difference, but thought it worth posting the two!!

The router is the black Sky V2 Netgear DG934G and is in the front room.

The mac in the front room generally stays connected for periods when in the room, but move it out of the room and oooh no!! Loses signal, just stops working. The same goes for the mac upstairs. It really struggles to load pages and streaming doesnt happen. Also, I was trying to download a game demo on the xbox this morning, which started, then stopped and kicked me off live, and then wouldnt sign back on (it is in a spare bedroom upstairs)

I also did a speed test for you all to check out if need be.

As far as I'm aware, I'm using the Swansea Morriston exchange.

Anyone able to give me a clue as to how to improve this or what to do?! I was quite content plodding along for the first few weeks as we're doing a lot of decorating etc, but we were/are/will be heavy users, I play online games and download things from Xbox live and the PSN, we're constantly on the internet, stream live TV (Sky player, youtube etc) and download (itunes) and this sort of thing surely cant keep happening?! Not for the price I'm paying.

Any help would be greatly received. I'm not overly technical so please try not to hit me with too much jargon though!!

I can post other statistics to help, but not until 8:30 tonight when I get home!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds, slow loading pages and disconnections!!

Random question, but there's nothing under the stairs at all? Have found some master sockets hidden in some random places in the past...speed wise you should be at least double what you are but it might be worth unplugging all other sockets bar the one the router is in just to make sure its not a dodgy filter

You should've continued your other thread tbh...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

Chrispyphillips (27-10-10)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is NO BT Master test socket in my house (at least none i can find) which is strange as it was built in 2001!!
      There will be a Master socket, although it may not be the NTE5 type. Unscrew the faces and have a look inside. You should find one with a capacitor and other bits and bobs. The extensions will just have a plain PCB with terminals attached. Your best bet would be to replace the master with an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate. There is not really any other way you can improve the wiring, which you will have to do to get your maximum potential speed, which could be 7-8 Mb.

There are few who would recommend wireless for online gaming. A direct cable connection is best followed by a Homeplug network, which would also improve the connection of your iMac.

The best you can do with wireless is change the channel the router is using. If you have close neighbours, the best way to do this is to download an application which shows you the channels in use in your area and choose one as far from those as possible. If you have a Windows machine, use InSSider from the link below. Similar applications are available for Macs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Chrispyphillips (27-10-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Random question, but there's nothing under the stairs at all? Have found some master sockets hidden in some random places in the past...speed wise you should be at least double what you are but it might be worth unplugging all other sockets bar the one the router is in just to make sure its not a dodgy filter

You should've continued your other thread tbh...
      Its a different house, therefore different set up etc, so thought i'd post a new thread (the old place was a mates!)

I've looked in all the random places I can think of (even the attic) and cannot find a master socket anywhere!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      There will be a Master socket, although it may not be the NTE5 type. Unscrew the faces and have a look inside. You should find one with a capacitor and other bits and bobs. The extensions will just have a plain PCB with terminals attached. Your best bet would be to replace the master with an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate. There is not really any other way you can improve the wiring, which you will have to do to get your maximum potential speed, which could be 7-8 Mb.
      Hmm, thanks. How do I know which one is the 'master' though. I took the one off in the front room (foolishly thinking it was the NTE5, even though it clearly wasnt) and there was just a mess of cables. How can I tell which one's which?!

I was thinking of the channel thing as i've read it somewhere else on here. How do I go about changing the channel of the router once I do find out if its the neighbours?! The log in for the router only really lets me look and not change things doesnt it?!

So, is there nothing Sky can do then?! It doesnt look like my package is capped or anything no? Or cant we tell until the other things get sorted out? In the other place everything was there, I did the NTE5 stuff, hardwired the xbox, and still it was very slow.

Thanks for the help though guys, I'll check it out.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Ah right, didn't see that bit!!

Where does the drop cable come from, or are you on underground cables? Master would be the nearest to that assuming you can see it entering the house
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Ah right, didn't see that bit!!

Where does the drop cable come from, or are you on underground cables? Master would be the nearest to that assuming you can see it entering the house
      No worries, I said there was a lot of information!!

I wish I had an idea of what you meant, I really do, but its all double dutch to me. Do you mean from a pillar with wiring coming in? I'll have a look, but as its a new estate (I dont know why this wasnt fitted to start with!!) I think its all underground cabling.

When I opened the living room, a mess a cables came out, no PCB boards or anything similar. I'll have a check, high and low, tonight when I get in, and look behind the others, but I'm sure theres just those 4!

If it is a problem, how do I go about getting NTE5? I'm a total novice so legalities aside I wouldnt be able to do this myself. I've read that it should cost about 25ish for a BT engineer to come out, but where do I get one from, and can I buy the faceplate myself and just ask them to fit it (so they wont overcharge)

Sorry for seemingly silly questions but I am totaly nov. I've searched for the last hour for NTE5 stuff on google (even trying to get them free) but every new page I click on raises more questions than answers!!!

Thanks

The master is the one with the capacitor, which is a small cylinder about the size of a AAA battery, usually coloured yellow or blue. There is an outside chance that you have an XNTE, which is a grey box containing the NTE5, situated outside your house. I did not think they were in use as far back as 2001, but I could be wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The master is the one with the capacitor, which is a small cylinder about the size of a AAA battery, usually coloured yellow or blue. There is an outside chance that you have an XNTE, which is a grey box containing the NTE5, situated outside your house. I did not think they were in use as far back as 2001, but I could be wrong.
      Just googled the XNTE and I'm sure I havnt got one of those near my gaff!

Whats my best plan of attack then? Pay BT to install a NTE5?

Thanks

Have you found a master socket? If so, plug the filter and router into it, remove everything you have plugged into other sockets and see what sort of result you get.

You could ask BT for a quote for fitting an NTE5, but they are easy enough to fit yourself.

TomD

Useful Utilites