Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My setup...

This is a discussion on My setup... within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Been reading the forums for a little while however, only just signed up so I will start b saying, Hi ...

Mdre83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My setup...

Been reading the forums for a little while however, only just signed up so I will start b saying, Hi ;-)

Ok, my current setup is as follows: Sky BB 20mb Unlimited: Router Netgear DG934G V2. Connecting to this I have a HP laptop (for work), iMac and iPhone. So far the only problems I face are speed issues (which resolve / increase when connected directly to the test socket) and a few connection drops now and then, which I plan to hopefully sort out in the near future by replacing the face plate and filter with an XTE2005 Clone ADSL Faceplate from Run-it-Direct. I've disconnected the orange bell wire, cabling itself looks pretty healthy. Other than changing the faceplate, does anyone have any other ideas how things could be improved?
      Would the extension socket need the sky filter left plugged in? house phone connects to this socket

I'm looking to get Apple TV soon to stream wirelessly and was thinking of getting Airport Extreme too not only for the improved connectivity but also for wireless backup etc etc. I'm guessing it is possible to connect Airport Extreme to the Netgear DG934G but not sure how this would perform?

Would it be better to buy an ADSL modem to replace the Netgear DG934G then connect the Airport Extreme that way?
      If so, can anyone recommend a good modem?

Cheers
      Martin

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: My setup...

Once you fit the filtered faceplate you will not longer need any other phone points to be filtered. Remember though, you will need to run the router directly from the master socket as no other phone points will work for ADSL.

That is about it for things to do on your side.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Once you fit the filtered faceplate you will not longer need any other phone points to be filtered. Remember though, you will need to run the router directly from the master socket as no other phone points will work for ADSL.

That is about it for things to do on your side.
      Cheers for the reply, Yeah that's cool, phone is connected to the extension socket that's all, which with the current setup needs the filter, apparently :-)

Any idea how the Airport extreme would perform connected through the
      Netgear DG934G V2 ?

Any recommendations for ADSL modems?

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just looking on Run-it-direct. The XTE2005 appears to have been discontinued and replaced with NTE2000 & NTE2005. Does anyone know the reason for this?
      Does the NTE2000 / 2005 give better performance...? I'm guessing not...
      The XTE2005 however is still available via ADSL Nation... And a little cheaper too.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

These sockets are designed to be fitted to the Master socket. In my opinion it is a waste of time and money fitting one unless you are going to plug into it and use it. You can get a filter faceplate for extension sockets like these - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

There is little difference in performance between the various filter faceplates, as long as you avoid the really cheap ones at about a fiver. Dave at Run-IT-Direct says that the main difference is that his premium ones are built in the UK from quality parts and the cheaper ones are imports which may not have the same quality built into them. I have been using one of the ADSLNation ones for about 7-8 years with no problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, I'll be fitting the plate to the master socket. Just wondered whether the filter was still needed in on the extension socket too where the phone is currently plugged in.

When you say the ADSL Nation ones do you mean the XTE2005 ?

Chees

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket you don't need filters on the other sockets. Keep in mind the other sockets will not be able to receive broadband, only phone, fax, dial up modems etc..

I have this one fitted in 2005- XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation I forgot I had to replace a BT one which was fitted when I first got broadband in 2002. I discovered later that my wiring was incorrect and the plate was probably OK, by then it was in the bin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah that's cool mate.
      Will order myself one of those ;-)
      Oh bummer, XTE will be a better plate anyway and it's served you well by the sounds of it.
      My wiring seems ok, albeit the orange bell wire is still there but disconnected, so shouldn't be causing any noise on the line...? Currently running at around 5.5mb with current setup (standard BT plate with Sky micro filter plugged in) if I plug I to the test socket increases 6+. unfortunately need to have the land line connected thou.