Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upload or Download, not both simultaneously... ?

This is a discussion on Upload or Download, not both simultaneously... ? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Peers I run a home business retouching images and upload big files all the time to my FTP server. ...

Joelex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Upload or Download, not both simultaneously... ?

Hi Peers
      I run a home business retouching images and upload big files all the time to my FTP server. The problem is when I upload the downstream won't flow until the upload has finished. So if I'm uploading 150MB"s me and my wife are out of communication till it's done. Im using the sky Sagem router provided, but before joining sky I used a Netgear dgn2000 (UKonline) with no problems at all. I called Sky and the peep told me that there is no reason it shouldn't work both ways... but it wasn't and that was the end of the conversation. Grrrr.

So does anybody know if I have set it up wrong, how ever unlikely that is or if I can use my Netgear instead if the smelly Sagem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Upload or Download, not both simultaneously... ?

Obviously knowing business use on Sky BB is in breech of T&C's calling Sky would've got you that result...But as said there is no reason why it shouldn't work unless you're saturating the connection SO much that there's nothing left to request anything else from the Net...

You can use your Netgear as you just have to extract the username/password from your Sky one using the tools on here, although this is also in breech of T&C's
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank-you so much for the reply. When I called Sky and asked about the packages they provided I asked them explicitly "I work from home and I need fast upload speed to provide a service to my clients" they said "yes" no problem. Saying all that I should have read the T&C's but really... come on sky restricting my use of trade. Grrrr x2

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It's probably a QoS issue, as far as I know the sagem either doesnt do it or does it badly. What's happening when your uploading is it's filling all the upstream bandwidth so that if you try to request a packet to be sent to you theres no space in the upstream to send the request.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is there any way to restrict your upload to leave a few Kbs for web requests. If you are using all your upstream bandwidth to upload your files, there is nothing left to make web requests. I am sure you realise that when you click a link the data is uploaded to fulfil your request, if there is no bandwidth available your request will not be sent, so you will not get a reply. You could check this by starting a download, then start your upload. I think you will find your download continues and your upload proceeds at a slightly lower rate.

The Netgear is a far superior router and probably handles upload/download bandwidth better than the basic Sagem. Instructions for using a non Sky router are available on the forum, but using it would be against the T & Cs(We always have to say that.)

Have you checked that your upload speed is as good as you can get?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

More reply's
      I have no complaints about the up and downstream speed. I get about 1MB down and 95-110KB's up. Just not both at the same time ) I will look into using my netgear tonight when traffic is a little slower at work.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I followed all the very helpfull peoples information on obtaining the use of a 3rd party router so I could conduct business as usual with the Netgear DGN2000 and it works so well right now. So very happy I now have up and down traffic simultaneously working.
      Thanks for all the support.