Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG834GT and the Ipad, dropped connections

This is a discussion on DG834GT and the Ipad, dropped connections within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys please excuse any wrong doings, I'm a very infrequent visitor, mainly because so far, my sky service has ...

toz66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DG834GT and the Ipad, dropped connections

Hi Guys please excuse any wrong doings, I'm a very infrequent visitor, mainly because so far, my sky service has been second to none across the board.
      However as you can see from my title, I'm doing my nut in here, trying like crazy to find a solution to my problem, and like I say its driving me crazy.

I think it may help first if I tell you my current set up,

I will start by saying prior to last October, I had no Apple products at all, I now have a Macbook (come to that in a moment), and now an Ipad 16g wireless version.
      So like i say prior to that I had a Windows XP PC, running my services perfectly, I'm even very fortunate to have probably one of the closes to exchange houses around, and can get full speed, although again a tad hit and miss at times.
      My main router connections are wired, PC, and Wired 360, all work fine, (although do get the odd nat moderate problem sometimes on the 360).

So this ran faultlessly, for years in fact.
      I then got a macbook, which to be honest works I would say on a wirelss connection , about 99% of the time.It does occasionally drop, and asks me for my wep key, and again occasionally I may have to even actually reboot my router to get it back.
      Now in the same room as the mac, I have a ps3, wirelss, with horrible signal strength, around 65%, (not that concerned as I dont use it much)

But I now come to the main reason I'm here, the new Ipad, again on the wirelss, finds the service, and input my usual security settings, but I'm sure you have all read that "some" Ipads, are having problems with there connections dropping, and through a lot of reading up, it to me anyway clearly has to do with router problems.
      So what happens is, I can be surfing, and when the connection does drop, which is random by the way, it can be for less than 2 seconds, I get "connecting" pop up window, and a quick glance , and you can see the wirelss signal has indeed dropped, however, no sooner have you looked, the pop up box comes on again and then the signal is back up, and all is well again.
      And like I say, it literally is seconds, now I know some may say, well thats not that bad, well I can assure you it is, for a number of reasons, the fact its a 400 device, that is solely dependent on wifi.

Now, the things I have tried, as per many, threads.
      I have.changed security within the router, changed channels, (only changed it once, as it was evident that didnt cure it).

So from what I can gather, both my apple products although the mac not as much, has problems with my connection to this router.
      So guys, really hope this has been raised on here, and indeed someone in the same boat has cured it, any help extremly appreciated.

Oh couple more things may be relevant, I did recently about 2 months back change to windows 7, (however im sure the macbook was dropping with XP as well)
      Oh and Firmware is the latest I think, the V1.03.87 version

And also have access, or can get to one of the sagem routers...would this help??

thanks

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT and the Ipad, dropped connections

You seem to have tried pretty much everything bar changing the router so that would be the next thing to do. The sagems dont seem to have very good wireless though so if possible try it with a netgear.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

basalt2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: BT fibre
      Router: BT business hub 2701HGV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      You seem to have tried pretty much everything bar changing the router so that would be the next thing to do. The sagems dont seem to have very good wireless though so if possible try it with a netgear.
      I have constant issues with my iPad too
      The router is a sagem so I can only agree the wifi is not good.
      I've changed the channel to 11 which improved things a bit but it's still poor.
      It is very annoying when you factor in the cost of an iPad.
      I await apples promised update but not patiently.
      Can sky supply a net gear router as a replacement?
      Stuart

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What you can try, if you haven't already, is go into the wireless settings of the router and change the mode to 'g only'. This stops the router making 108 and 11mbps available, thus leaving more resources for g, which is all you need.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It seems unfair to blame the Router, which has worked very well for a number of years with other operating systems. It seems the problem lies with the iPad - I'd try connecting to another WiFi source and see if that solves the problem as you'd know if the problem was iPad to specific router or just the iPad.

Having said that the above suggestion to change the Router to 'g' mode only seems a sensible thing to try.

I don't know whether you can make the iPad use a manually assigned IP address (say 192.168.0.101, Submask 255.255.255.0 with a Gateway 192.168.0.1) as I have an HTC TyTN smartphone who's WiFi was problematic on 'auto IP address' but works sweetly on a manually set one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What you can try, if you haven't already, is go into the wireless settings of the router and change the mode to 'g only'. This stops the router making 108 and 11mbps available, thus leaving more resources for g, which is all you need.
      Thanks for tha advice but the sagem only gives options of:
      54g auto (my setting)
      54g performance
      54g lrs
      802.11b only

I am unsure what might be the best of those.
      I will also look into the manually assigned ip address --- need to look up how to do it
      Thanks.
      Stuart

Thanks

Thanks for tha advice but the sagem only gives options of:
      54g auto (my setting)
      54g performance
      54g lrs
      802.11b only
      My advice was aimed at the Thread Starter, who has a DG834GT.
      In your case you should use the 54g Performance, this has the same effect, as Limited Rate Support and 11b are not required, Auto includes all of these.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Woops
      But thank you for your reply
      Best Regards.
      Stuart

Curlycjbass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      My advice was aimed at the Thread Starter, who has a DG834GT.
      In your case you should use the 54g Performance, this has the same effect, as Limited Rate Support and 11b are not required, Auto includes all of these.
      54g performance didn't work for me but 54g LRS did (I also disabled SSID broadcast and disabled 3G on the iPad itself which may also have helped)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curlycjbass View Post
      54g performance didn't work for me but 54g LRS did (I also disabled SSID broadcast and disabled 3G on the iPad itself which may also have helped)
      That is surprising, LRS is there to allow older adapters, typically 'b' standard to connect. I would assume that your iPad is actually 'n' standard capable, with backward compatibility to b and g., so it should not benefit from using the older standard. Likewise turning off broadcast SSID would make no difference, but turning off 3g might, as it would make more resources available on the device for the application in use.

TomD

Useful Utilites