Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Issues with broadcasting

This is a discussion on Issues with broadcasting within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi To all those that take the time to read this and can help - thank you! I have spent ...

dangerous dave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Issues with broadcasting

Hi

To all those that take the time to read this and can help - thank you! I have spent the last two days going round in circles and am getting close to smashing something.

I have a macbook running sky broadband with a sagem router. Normally get around 2meg speeds which to be honest i am happy with. Pages load fast enough, things download umpteen times faster than they used to.

The problem i have is with broadcasting to a radio server. I originally tried to broadcast using Nicecast and that didnt work. I have since got Virtual DJ as i was told that it had good broadcast capabilities straight out of the box. When playing with it it did indeed look very easy but alas, the same issue. **Broadcast error**

I have searched the internet and google and have been directed to sites regarding port forwarding. I have followed a lot of these guides and still the same problem.

I actually succesfully forwarded a port that i use for transmission (torrent client) so i feel that i do know what i am doing with this but just wonder if sky is not allowing certain ports to be open. I am trying to open 8000 and 8001. I complete the service section in the router and then add to the firewall rules, all seems ok but when i check on canyouseeme it says the port is not open.

Any ideas????

Thanks

DD

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Issues with broadcasting

I am not 100% sure but I think the port will only be open to the service you have forwarded to it. If it was otherwise it would be a bad security risk.

Sorry I can't help with your actual problem as I don't know anything about Macs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dangerous dave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply but it doesnt get me any closer to solving this problem.

Anybody else got any other ideas.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Normally you would not need to open any ports unless you were broadcasting on your home PC.

We use SAM Broadcaster for SkyUser Radio, and it works fine with no issues and connects to shoutcast no issues without having to open ports. Is this similar to what you mean, or do you want people to tune in so to speak to your PC when it is broadcasting?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

DOH! Missed this bit.

I am trying to open 8000 and 8001
      That would be the setting for the server that you are trying to connect to, normally, and not your PC / router at home.

We have a similar box on SAM Broadcaster.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues with broadcasting-shoutcast.jpg  

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser