Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sudden drop in speed. Any ideas?

This is a discussion on Sudden drop in speed. Any ideas? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, We recently moved house within Nottingham. We decided to get the TV, phone and broadband package with Sky. ...

happykayaker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sudden drop in speed. Any ideas?

Hi all,

We recently moved house within Nottingham. We decided to get the TV, phone and broadband package with Sky. We had this deal in Sheffield 2 or so years ago and it all worked really really well. The house we are in did not have the phone lines connected, so we got them connected (sky had a deal which allowed them to pay the lions share and BT still did the work - but it cost us 60 rather than well over a 100). Then through the door came a new Sagem sky router. Once the line was activated I connected everything in as it should be - connecting the iMac via a 15m cable, and the other devices via the wireless function. I kept an eye on the download and upload speeds. After the first 2 days we were getting a download of between 3.5 and 4.5 Mbs consistently - with a download of 0.75 Mbs. Suddenly a week or so later were only getting an upload of 1.75 Mbs (actually according to the sky routers stats were getting 2047kbps - but 5 other respected speed test website all concur that its more like 1.75 Mbs) and a download of 0.51Mbs. I have done a ping test and I am getting no packet loss and a ping of 61ms and a jitter of 5ms - therefore from my very limited understanding - a clear line.

I have contacted sky who have told me it is my end - they have had me unplug everything and leave only the router in, then unscrew the main telephone input into the house and plug the router into the "test" line which is hidden behind the panel. My speeds and packet loss are all the same, in all the scenarios they have had be try. They are suggesting that they need to lower the speed to keep a consistent, stable line - however by my testing - the line is consistent and stable - all be it very slow!

Can anyone of you far more knowledgeable people on this area suggest anything to help? I am still in the statutory time period whereby I can kick the broadband into touch and go elsewhere - but that would be a major hassle. Could it be something in the exchange - or the router its self (as I have proved by testing on 5 other sites its measuring of the speeds is out by a long way)?

All help very very appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sudden drop in speed. Any ideas?

Post your stats from the normal position and from the Test socket. Have a look at the links in the Quick Links box on the left for details on how to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

According to the router stats, using the test socket I am getting: a downstream of 2047kpbs and an upstream of 605kbps.

From the same test socket Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test shows the down as 1.78Mbs and the download as 0.50Mbs, with a ping of 98ms. Further packet loss testing this way show what it says is a nice clear line - a packet loss of 0 (250 packets sent and received), a ping of 62ms and a Jitter of 4ms.

Hopefully this may help you shed some light for me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry forgot to put in stats from the normal socket I use:

Sky router saying: downstream of 2047Kpbs upstream of 605Kbps.

Speedtest showing: ping of 63ms downstream 1.75Mbs 0.51Mbs upload.

A ping test: a ping test shows: a packet loss of 0 (250 packets sent and received); a ping of 60ms and a Jitter of 5ms.

I'll do them again properly when I get home, and put screen grabs in properly - the stats given above were sent in an email to sky and so I had access to them in my outbox.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

We need proper stats showing noise margin etc from both positions. The link on the left shows you how to do it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, back at home and here are the stats requested:

First, the router plugged into the telephone line upstairs(where my office is) and connected to the mac via a cable:

And then the direct link into the "test" socket behind the front panel of the main BT phone port - again plugged into the mac via ethernet cable:

I hope my links worked.
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by happykayaker; 26-01-10 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks

It looks like you have noise on your line which has caused it to be capped at 2047kbps. This may have been done by DLM or manually by Sky. Either way you are not going to get much more until you get it fixed. Can you plug a corded phone into the test socket, dial 1 digit and listen. It should be quiet with no crackles or pops. If there is noise on the voice line getting it fixed will go a way to improving your broadband.

There is also a chance that your line performs very badly with ADSL2+. You could call Sky and ask them t try your line on G.DMT, which is more tolerant of noisy lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fingers crossed I have it sorted. I replied to an email with the above information, including the bit about a DLM. A couple of hours later I had an email from sky and they say they have reconfigured my connection. I knew they were doing something as the network dropped out. Currently we are getting 5760 Kbps downstream and 768 upstream - and a noticeably faster connection! Hopefully this will continue.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks

I think they have returned your line to G.DMT. Hopefully your problems will be over

TomD

Useful Utilites