Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Optimal Wireless Settings for Sagem F@ST and PowerBook G4

This is a discussion on Optimal Wireless Settings for Sagem F@ST and PowerBook G4 within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All I have scoured this forum and found some helpful hints but no complete answer to my wireless issues. ...

simonmigliano is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canonbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Optimal Wireless Settings for Sagem F@ST and PowerBook G4

Hi All

I have scoured this forum and found some helpful hints but no complete answer to my wireless issues. I hope someone can help (and turn this thread into a useful resource for other mac users new to Sky BB).

I have been on Sky BB Max for about 3 weeks now and it has been nothing but trouble with extremely inconsistent performance both in terms of wireless signal strength and speed. It's signal strength that I want to focus on however.

Can anyone tell me what the best settings are both in the router and on my mac for a stable, strong signal?

I have fiddled about on the Sagem F@ST router console endlessly but my fixes seem to only last from an hour to a couple of days tops.

My current settings are:

Region Europe
      Current Channel 12
      Wireless AP enable
      Mode: 802.11b

I have unchecked Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port

Use Router as DHCP Server remains checked and has a range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

UPnP is unchecked

I also have done some port forwarding for torrents, which works ok.

In my mac's network settings I just have it set to automatic for location and have interference robustness enabled.

The problem I have is the wireless signal just dies and I have to stand within 1 metre of the router and turn the airport on and off in the mac taskbar until the SKY network becomes an option to select, sometimes a couple of times, before the signal comes back.

Frequently, as soon as I walk off, the signal dies and I have to repeat the above. Several times.

May I note, my flat is so "compact" I am never more than 3 metres from the router!

I have changed the channel many times - although I haven't used every one of them. I have changed the mode from 54g Auto to 802.11b Only which did lead to an improvement.

Don't get me started on the speed - I am told my line can support 9Mb but I am getting 1.8Mb! An engineer is coming on Wednesday so hopefully that will get sorted out.

Any help on the settings would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      macbeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Optimal Wireless Settings for Sagem F@ST and PowerBook G4

Since it a mac have to try to lower the security from WPA to WEP. Also is there any other wireless devices near the router, i.e. cordless phone, video senders, door bells, etc - moved these devices away from the router.

Thanks

thanks for the reply macbeth. Are you sure about lowering the security to WEP? I haven't heard this before and I'd rather not do that as it means my network will be significantly less secure. Also, how would this affect signal strength? The router is not near any other wireless devices by the way.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't use a MAC so I can't help you on that side, but for your router settings, can you see any other networks in your vicinity. If you can try a channel as far from those being used as possible. If you can't see any others, try channel 13, many don't know this is available so don't use it. I would also advise changing your mode back to 'g' , 'b' is an older setting that has a theoretical maximum of 11mbps, but you actually would be lucky to get 3-4Mb out of it. That may be fast enough at the moment, but will not if you get your connection fixed.

I would also keep the security to WPA, due to the extra encryption it is a bit slower that WEP, but so little you will not notice it.

If you have no luck with 13, try working your way through the list to see if you can find a good one. Also try turning your router different ways, this can sometimes make a difference.

In the end it is possible you have a router with a faulty wireless, only trying another one could prove whether this is so.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply isitme.

I have had no luck with any of the 54g settings at all, they drop my signal right down to unworkable levels. the 802.11b setting seems to be the only half decent one. My airport card firmware is 405.1 - does anybody know if this is an issue?

I am using channel 13 at the moment and it does seem to give the best results but it still isn't really satisfactory. I will keep trying each of the channels but it is really very frustrating.