Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MAC to PC through Sky router. So Frustrating

This is a discussion on MAC to PC through Sky router. So Frustrating within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, I have a Windows XP PC connected via ethernet cable to the sky DG834GT router as well as ...

Grady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MAC to PC through Sky router. So Frustrating

Hi there, I have a Windows XP PC connected via ethernet cable to the sky DG834GT router as well as a Macbook connected wirelessly to the same router. I have tried virtually everything to share files and printers between the two machines through the router but no luck.
      Both come up as 'attached devices' when I view the router details (although my PC comes up as UNKNOWN rather than the name I gave it? Another thread methinks!) and I can ping the PC from the Macbook. I have followed many threads on this and the Apple support forum on how to setup XP and leapord to share files etc but I just can't seem to get it to work? Has anyone got any fundamentals that I may have missed? It is getting really frustrating. Would it be something to do with me setting up a workgroup called MSHOME when it is on the SKY***** network?
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: MAC to PC through Sky router. So Frustrating

It may come down to something as simple as firewall(s) -- always turn them off before attempting a new connection, they adapt to the new connection when re-enabled.

If attempting to set connection up via wireless, first try it wired -- which will help isolate wireless-specific issues.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's not a Sky router thing. It's not a Workgroup name thing. You have probably already turned on Windows Sharing on the Mac (and enabled our account) and turned on "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the PC and set Sharing ("share this folder on the network") on at least one folder on the PC? OK...

On the Mac (assuming Tiger), open Directory Access program (it's in the Utilities folder within Applications) and double click SMB/CIFS. Tyoe in the name of the Windows workgroup as per your PC. Click OK. Quit Directory Access. Have another look at your Network folder. You should now see a folder with the name of your Windows workgroup. Double click and you should see your PC. (If you are running Leopard, the procedure - which I can't recall offhand - is different, but the intention is the same!)

On the PC, first of all reboot. Next, click "View workgroup computers" and then click "Microsoft Windows Network" then click the icon for your workgroup name. Yu should now see your Mac.

Finally, to get your PC to show up as something other than UNKNOWN in the list of connected devices on your router, you will need to give it a name of some sort. I think this is done in the same vicinity as setting the Workgroup name. You will need to reboot the PC for it to take effect.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Grady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am running Leopard so I can't find 'Directory Access'. Any idea what it's called in leopard?

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Directory Utility in the Utilities folder I think. It's slightly different to the Tiger version though.

landwomble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161429
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Go into system preferences...sharing and turn it on there.