Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Broadband user with airport extreme. HELP

This is a discussion on New Sky Broadband user with airport extreme. HELP within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just got my broadband activated yesterday. Using the Netgear router (the dark grey one) I can access the ...

thornden4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile New Sky Broadband user with airport extreme. HELP

I have just got my broadband activated yesterday. Using the Netgear router (the dark grey one) I can access the internet but range is not great.

This is what I would like to do.

I have an airport extreme which I used with Virgin with no problems and it has a great range. I also have Apple tv and an Airport express which I use to stream my music to my kitchen. I have a macbook and my partner has a Vista Laptop.

I would like to use the Netgear as a modem only and use the Airport Extreme as my router to distribute the ip addresses.

Can this be done? If so can anyone tell me what settings to use?

I know I can turn of the wireless on the netgear and wire it with ethernet into the extreme but I am unsure as to what settings to use on both.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Broadband user with airport extreme. HELP

This may show you how to use a Netgear router as a modem only: how to use DG834 as simple ADSL Modem - NETGEAR Forums

Then wire the other Airport Extreme router in by ethernet -- see how to set that up as a wireless access point from an Apple forum, I suggest.

If no joy try posting your query on netgear.com user forum as one of the moderators there (jmizoguchi) uses Apple stuff, though you may have to tell him which Netgear retail model the V2 Sky router is equivalent to.

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

But the OP has a DG934G router?

I'd be interested in this too.... I tried the method outlined in the PDF but it didn't work.

fasteddie48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Billericay
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello

I've just got Sky Broadband - me and my kids are all Mac users and my connection falls over a fair bit. I've only had it two weeks. There was a lot of noise on my phone line which I traced to my cordless phone but unplugging it solved the noise problem but not the connection problem. BT say there's nothing wrong with my line. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I'd be connected all the time even if the speed is not the quickest?? Or am I just being naive?? All the microfilters have been plugged in where they should be....
      help....apparently there is a guy living in my area who sorts these problems out for people but dont see why I should have to pay someone else when I'm already paying Sky...