Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mac + PC on Network

This is a discussion on Mac + PC on Network within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a home network set up consisting of a server plus whatever laptops connect to the network. I transfer ...

Niven770 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mac + PC on Network

I have a home network set up consisting of a server plus whatever laptops connect to the network. I transfer files between server and laptop - as you do. I intend to get a macbook and also hook it up to the network.

The question is.......will my Macbook be able to "see and use" the shared drives on my server (it's a PC). Will my Macbook be able to utilise the "shared" DVD/CD drive on my server.

Regards
      Davy

2. Advertisement
      balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Mac + PC on Network

It's been a while since I've shared files with a windows box over my network (no PC's anymore!) but it should work I don't see why not.... I used to transfer files from xp to tiger and vice versa. As for the CD/DVD?! Why would you want to do that? Is the macbook drive not working?

Niven770 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply.
      I went ahead and purchased a Mac and can now see that it is possible to transfer files to and from a PC across my network.

The reason about sharing a CD/DVD was that I was going to get the new Macbook Air, this laptop does not come with a CD/DVD drive but shares one's in the near vacinity....or you can purchase an external one.

Regards
      Davy

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah the MacBook Air, I thought you meant Macbook.... yes, there's an application that comes with it allowing you to use another CD drive from another computer.... I believe the software will also be available in the next update of leopard.