Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Internet Mail

This is a discussion on BT Internet Mail within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Will it be possible to get my mail on the MAC using Sky broadband? It worked before when I ...

DMREID is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT Internet Mail

Hi

Will it be possible to get my mail on the MAC using Sky broadband? It worked before when I was using BT as the broadband provided, but hasn't worked since moving to Sky - I am just using webmail rather than having it all downloaded to the MAC?

Regards

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: BT Internet Mail

BT almost certainly will have closed your email account when you cancelled their broadband package, so you won't be able to access it, not even via webmail.

When I migrated from BT Openworld (about four years ago now), I changed by account with them from a broadband account to a pay-as-you-go dial-up account. This kept my email account open, although I have to dial them up every 90 days to keep that account active.

I'm not sure if you can do the same with BT Broadband (which is different from BT Openworld, now BT Yahoo). Indeed if you've now closed your BT Broadband account, even it had been possible, it may now be possible now.

Chances are you've lost that email account for good.

Lots of people here use third-party email accounts with Google Mail, Hotmail or Yahoo mail, and stick with those. It does mean you don't lose your email address if you change your broadband provider. There's a lot to be said for doing that.

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The other reason you wont be able to get it is, that unless you are connected through BT you wont be able to connect to their mail server.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well you almost certainly won't be able to send out-going email via SMTP and you might not be able to pick it up via POP, so using Outlook or Thunderbird is probably out of the question once you've left them. But I doubt they would block access to webmail, which is what the OP is talking about. After all, one of the reasons they provide webmail is so you can access your email when you're away from home.

No, I think the most likely explanation is that they've simply closed the account.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As James says your account may be closed, but they normally give you a few weeks grace before cutting it off. Have a look at http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-email-portal-log/ for advice on how to set up your email accounts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
      The other reason you wont be able to get it is, that unless you are connected through BT you wont be able to connect to their mail server.
      Not quite. They'll allow you to receive from their mail server not send.

@DMREID

To the best of my knowledge BT will automatically change your email account to a dial up (PAYGO). To check, use your browser to go to http://home.bt.yahoo.com/ and sign in. Go to "my account" and you should see that your product is now shown as "BT Yahoo! Pay-as-you-go". As said before you need to access this via dial-up every 90 days to keep it active, though they took a year before they prompted me. Alternatively you can convert your email account to what they call premium for 1.50 a month and you then don't need to dial in and you can send via their server.
      Last edited by Saturday; 17-09-07 at 02:54 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I left BT broadband last November, my POP/SMTP stopped working after about 2 months but I could still get to my email via the yahoo/BT website. I have just recieved an email this week saying that if I dont dial into my pay as you go dial up account, then my account and email will be completely closed in 60 days.