Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another Mac User with Airport issues....:-(

This is a discussion on Yet another Mac User with Airport issues....:-( within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Its hard to fight the Mac/Windows argument when things like wireless connection is such a problem! I've inserted ...

DroningMonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yet another Mac User with Airport issues....:-(

Hi all,

Its hard to fight the Mac/Windows argument when things like wireless connection is such a problem!

I've inserted the Sky Disc into a Vaio lappy runningVista. Was online and wireless in less than 5 mins.

Completed same actions on OSX 10.4.10, all was fine, (connected via Ethernet) but when selecting SKYXXXXX from Airport menu, I'm told the password is incorrect, or there was an error connecting.

Like others posting here, I have checked Netgear router setting to insure MacBook's MAC address is allowed wireless - OK, then checked all Macbook connection info in Sys Prefs. The menu icon flashes about and drops out, but shows the Sky Network signal as very strong.

It's very frustrating as I can connect to all other public networks (like airports around Europe) with one click.

Please any help for a reluctant Sky users already wishing he hadn't.

Finally, what is the retention like on sky newsgroups, and where are they???

Many thanks all who care.....

2. Advertisement
      Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Yet another Mac User with Airport issues....:-(

I sorry your having problems. Although I have airport on my Mac I prefer to use ethernet and so consequently I don't pretend to fully understand all things 'wireless'.

However I have tried it to see if it does work and it does and I didn't do anything special.

I turned airport on by just clicking airport symbol along top right toolbar (near where clock is) and clicked 'Turn Airport on' - it just found my sky wireless settings automatically!

Final thought - is it enabled on the router? you havn't disabled it in someway?

Go into 192.168.0.1 and double check settings

Can't think of anything else - stick with it cause I'm sure some brighter spark than me will be able to resolve it for you.

Good Luck

Andrew
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

pinechap is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01273
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beephe View Post
      I sorry your having problems. Although I have airport on my Mac I prefer to use ethernet and so consequently I don't pretend to fully understand all things 'wireless'.

However I have tried it to see if it does work and it does and I didn't do anything special.

I turned airport on by just clicking airport symbol along top right toolbar (near where clock is) and clicked 'Turn Airport on' - it just found my sky wireless settings automatically!

Final thought - is it enabled on the router? you havn't disabled it in someway?

Go into 192.168.0.1 and double check settings

Can't think of anything else - stick with it cause I'm sure some brighter spark than me will be able to resolve it for you.

Good Luck

Andrew
      Also connected via Airport ..... same way as Beephe, no poblems ..... Pinechap

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Same here, as with most things Mac it just works first time. Are you sticking the wireless password in using the correct case?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Don't forget that, when using WEP, you have to type a dollar sign as the first character before you type the password string into the Airport configuration on your Mac.

DroningMonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks all. I believe the router is set up for WPA-PSK not WEP but thanks for the comments anyway.

What I don't understand is that there is no password set anyway. Would this be the Network key, as I have tried this 8 digit number, as well as the Sky Account password and both fail.

It is reassuring to know that other users with the same set up are wirelessly online, so I will persevere. Has to be a user error!!

Many thanks all

Stuicy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The password you should enter when connecting via airport is indeed the 8-character network key found on the "wireless settings" menu on the router. The key should also have been provided on a little red card that came in your routers box. It should connect automatically thereafter.

If you are running an older mac, you should also check that "g & b" is selected in the "mode" option in the same "wireless settings" menu on your router.

Also, you could check your mac's system preferences. Open the "network" preference pane, select "network status" from the drop-down menu and keep an eye on what it says next to "Airport" when you try to connect. If the little circle turns yellow and it says you are connected via airport but have a self-assigned ip address (or something like that), then you have to select "airport" in the drop-down menu and click the tcp/ip tab. Check the ip address is 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3 (if your pc connected first it may have automatically taken 192.168.0.2, so your mac may need 192.168.0.3).
      Sometimes a mac can be funny and you need to enter the details manually. To do this select "manually" from the "configure IPv4" drop-down menu, and enter the following information;

IP Address - 192.168.0.2 (or 192.168.0.3)
      Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
      Router - 192.168.0.1

If none of the above is any help, then I have no idea what the problem could be.

Hope you get it sorted.

DMREID is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I seem to have the same issue - I am trying to use the eight character password supplied by the Sky router, but my MAC says there is a problem joining the selected airport network. If I disable any security, it connects perfectly and the password works with my pc.

I will try using a $ sign first and see if that sorts it!!

JaneElizabeth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Are we allowed to burst into tears and join the Foreign Legion?

All I want to do is connect my iMac wirelessly -- and it won't work!

I got my iBook to connect OK using a USB wireless adaptor, but every time I try with the iMac and the AirPort Extreme card it's a disaster.

I've read all the posts and followed all the advice (not that I know what most of it means ) but I STILL get the message that there was an error connecting to the network.

The password is never recognised -- I worked out that 'Network Key' meant 'password' when I was setting up the iBook, and that worked. But the iMac will have none of it.

I don't suppose there's any point taking my computer to the lovely guys at the Apple Store, is there? I'd need the router, too.

Maybe I'll just stick to Ethernet. I suppose the laptop is the one I really want wireless. Mind you, that suddenly dropped connection on me for no good reason.

guy2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem as you had (have?)..... my pc which i am having to give up works fine wirelessly, so i know i have sky up and running.

but my mac rejects the password.

did anyone ever definitively solve this problem? anything you can advise or email.....

thanks

ps

my favorite bit is when you call up sky technical help and they tell you they can not help you as they don't do mac's!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast