Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless woes!

This is a discussion on Wireless woes! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Recently converted to Sky broadband and bought a new iMac with Airport Extreme. Sky provided usual Netgear router and is ...

euanhogarth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Falkirk
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless woes!

Recently converted to Sky broadband and bought a new iMac with Airport Extreme. Sky provided usual Netgear router and is set up within 30 feet of Mac.
      About half the time i can connect with no problems with downlaod speed greater than 1Mb. I can use it in afternoon ok then later in day, with no change in positions of router or Mac (or any other circumstances within the house), Airport fails to connect and error message appears 'cannot connect to..'. Although my sky network always appears in the Airport network list.

What's going on. I have had this problem for over 2 months and i am now going mental with it. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Anyone out there with any words of wisdom?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless woes!

In my experience the Mac built-in wireless is a bit lame compared to a Netgear cardbus adapter in a PC laptop.

Wireless is highly variable. But it may help if you scan for nearby wireless networks and changed the router and airport to a frequency 6 channels from the strongest neighbour. Relocate cordless phone base station, video sender etc.

vr360homes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless woes!

I have the same problems, we have just switched to sky bb from BT and have the netgear router set-up upstairs, when I use my mac book in the same room it works fine but if I go downstairs the signal becomes weak and the connections is intermittent. It seems to work better during the day but come the evening I can barely get on and I am less than 30 ft from the router.

I know it's not a signal stength problem as I have my PS3 further away and that's say 75% signal.

I have the router set to channel 1 and as far as I can see none of my neighbours are on that channel, they are all on channel 6.

Any ideas why this is happening.

I had no problems like this with the bt voyager router.

Any help would be grateful.

Cheers

Lee

Ps: I actually have come across this before at a friends house in Florida, they brought a new netgear router and there imac couldn't hold the connection for more than a few minutes at a time but I don't know if they ever got it sorted out, I am pretty sure it was the same router.