Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mac says not connected, windows is fine!

This is a discussion on Mac says not connected, windows is fine! within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I know i'm not the only person with this problem, seeing as i've spoken to other mac users about safari's ...

Brookieboydabomb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goodmayes
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mac says not connected, windows is fine!

I know i'm not the only person with this problem, seeing as i've spoken to other mac users about safari's losing the internet connection randomly before.

For some unknown reason, mid-browsing, or after long periods of idle time, Safari gives up the ghost, and the whole of the mac is lost for internet connectivity. 'Network Diagnostics' dont help at all. I'm used to windows, i know how it works and as nice to use as the mac usually is the networking options are a hell of a lot better in xp than in OsX. ...but enough ranting.

Is there any manual way in which i can setup this connection? I am connected via wired ethernet. My only current tool for getting my internet back is a restart of the system, and although it only takes 30seconds (this is where the mac claws back from windows!!!) it's still more than a little annoying.

I can tell you that it just stops talking to the router. Typing in the http://192.168.0.1 gives the same 'you are not connected to the internet' mesage' stating that 'safari can't open the page "________" because the server stopped responding, whilst normal websites just display a 'you are not connected to the internet' error 'Safari can't open the page "http://___________" because your computer isn't connected to the internet.'

I have tried emptying the cache and resetting safari to no avail, and i know that the router isn't at particular fault because my thinkpad hasn't ONCE lost the sky connection since it first became associated with it..and this works in both ethernet and wireless modes.

I have also tried disabling IPv6, and changing the DNS servers as suggested in other guides. Again- to no avail.

Can anyone offer my any advice on a longer term solution? I dont want to have to reset my router every time my mac hiccups, and i doubt this would solve the problem, anyway.

Welcoming any input at all

Regards

PS: Right now (though it has never done this before) even the restart isn't solving my problems. Great.

2. Advertisement
      Brookieboydabomb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goodmayes
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Mac says not connected, windows is fine!

os x 10.4.9
      Mac Mnin on wired ethernet
      Sky router
      same issue on Safari 2 and 3(beta)

tazmania is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am getting really really annoyed with constant disconnections, you are not connected to the internet. Some days it happens every 5-10 mins

So is this really to do with Apple MACS?, and Safari, anyone any clearer to the cause?. Rebooting the router al the time is a pain. When it works it works well, but when it does not.

I dont have windows. But once the connection is broken on the apple (wired), on my Wii (wireless) the web will not work.

I really want to do something about it, but is it the computer, the router, the exchange?, where do i start

any help?

jonnyw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I work for sky, and im one of the three out of 400 that know/use mac

its not your mac, if youre lucky to get through to my call-centre (ireland) then you may get help.

to start - check to see if your mac will get to the router settings page (type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in safari, logins are "admin" as username and "sky" as password)

go down the left pane to "router status" or look on the middle pane for "ADSL" then look for IP- take note if that says one or not, then go down the page to "connections" then click "disconnect". close the screen, then click "sky test" - take note of the error code. it will be error 100, 200, or 300.

if its error 100, its more than likely your setup, box, ethernet, line, or exchange, if 200 or 300, its gonna have to go to teir 3 technical, who are a small department in kent who can cap your line etc. what will happen is, if you tell the advisor this info.. they will get you either to the next step (if error 100) or put a ticket through to teir 3 (if error 200/300)

Big tip - this will get you off the phone as quick as possible, saving you money, best not to bother arguing with them about the fact that teir 3 will have to call back in up to 5 days, as the advisor wont care, they are doing thier job, and no metter how much you argue that it shouldnt take so long, there is nothing they can do, so youre best to just leave it.

I am in full support of this forum, and firmly believe that skys technical support is ridiculous, i think i am one of only a handful with two braincells to rub together who work there. but to be honest, remember, no point in threatening canellations to the advisor, as they arent salesmen/women, they will happily put you through to cancellations to get you off the phone

jonnyw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

also- it sounds to me like it could be a tier 3 issue, they may have to cap youre line slower, to cause less intermittency in the line, check also if your "Internet light" (the one that looks like an upside down questionmark) goes off during the time you are disconnected

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've had this a couple of times when using Airport on my MBP. I find that turning Airport off for a couple of minutes then back on usually fixes the problem.

I suspect it's a driver bug as my old Dell laptop with an early onboard wireless G card was always doing this a few years back. Updated drivers made the problem lessen with each new release.

ickle yoda1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My month old macbook does exactly the same thing.

Could it be safari related, could using firefox solve the problem?

iannufc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Jarrow (NEJW)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have used Firefox on a Mac Mini, both wired and wireless, with my Sky connection and have never had a pick of bother if that's any help.

I'd give it a bash if I were you, you never know...

dazw30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheltenham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I seem to be getting the same trouble on my Mac Mini & using Safari, Yet my Wireless PC Laptop with IE always works fine.

I run Network Diagnostics when safari displays not connected to internet & then get the 2 red lights showing ISP & Internet, then when running the check these always turn to green & message appears "internet working correctly", so then can continue surfing until it happens again.

Am going to try Firefox to see if it happens on this. will see what happens