Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Airport/iMac woes

This is a discussion on More Airport/iMac woes within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I'd appreciate any help with an iMac/Airport/Sky broadband problem. My set up is: iMac 20-inch Intel Core Two Duo ...

Durham Nige is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

More Airport/iMac woes

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help with an iMac/Airport/Sky broadband problem.
      My set up is: iMac 20-inch Intel Core Two Duo running OSX 10.4. Sky broadband wireless router.

My problem: I can connect to the Net using an ethernet cable but that rather defeats the object of wireless.
      When the router is switched on my Airport usually detects. I sometime has to switch the Airport off then back on before it shows up.
      When I try to use the network the iMac asks for a password. I enter the password supplied by Sky and get an error message saying the Airport card could not log on. And so on... and so on...

The router is detected by my Centrino laptop and it is currently sitting next to the Mac so signal strength isn't an issue. The Airport can detect my neighbour's network so it seems to be working as well.

Looking through the posts it seems I am not alone but I can't find a straightforward set of instructions on what to do/try. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nige.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: More Airport/iMac woes

Have you tried applying the Sky WPA passphrase to the Mac's encryption interface. If that doesn't work you may have a problem that only a Mac fan can help you with.

Conventionally, I would advise connecting to the Sky router by ethernet cable which bypasses encryption -- but I suspect Apple don't bother with such inelegant devices as a network socket. So you may have to use the Centrino laptop you mention to address the router wirelessly or invest in a PCMCIA or USB ethernet adapter.

Then open the router's user interface and either disable encryption OR (preferably) jot down the HEX codes produced by the Sky passphrase and apply that code to the Mac.

Also see tutorials on this site for how to address the router's user interface using Internet Explorer.
      Last edited by fihart; 21-05-07 at 06:52 PM. Reason: clarification

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have applied the WPA password but the Mac says it is invalid. I logged on via ethernet and checked the password via sky/admin web site -- but the iMac still won't accept it.
      In desperation I disabled all encryption and tried again - still no joy!!!
      I bought a Mac in the mistaken belief that it would be more straightforward than a Win PC - how wrong I was! Macs just seem to be all style and no substance.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it still won't work without encryption off on both Mac and Router then it must be the channel or poor reception (the Airport wireless is pretty feeble) or a Mac thing.

In fact I would ring the Apple helpline if no response from Mac victims here.

I don't get on with them -- the computers, that is -- managed to crash an iPod.

jasf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Durham Nige

I am not quite on Sky BB as yet, though use the same router on a Mac network.

Depending on which revision Airport Card that you are using, will depend on which Wireless Security options are compatible.

Firstly, run the Mac Software Update to ensure that you have all of the latest updates - currently 10.4.9

In the network preferences make sure that the Airport card is set to Automatic and DHCP.

First try setting up wireless without encryption .. if that works ->
      Try setting the Encryption to WEP to rule out compatibility (all versions of the card support WEP).

Let me know how you get on to this stage .. i'll be in a better position to advise further.

JasF

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the Airport card is OK. It picks up my neighbour's wireless network fine and the Sky BB router is currently sat next to the iMac!
      I logged into the router's set up and set encryption to zilch but still had the same password/log on problems.
      Having reset everything I see the security in use is WAP Personal.
      I'm pretty sure the problem is something to do with my network passwork not being recognised. I could log in and reset the password and possibly switch to WEP. Any ideas?

Nige

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry,

Forgot to mention - the Mac was fully up-dated (more than half a gig!!) last night, including latest Airport fixes.

N

Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not sure If I can help as I don't use wireless on my iMac but for the fun of it I tried setting my Mac wirelessly and didn't have any problems.

To be truthful I really don't understand wireless setup but a couple of things I did that might help

1. Go into router setup page and make sure wireless network is set to Auto108mps

2. Default SSID should be something like SKY12345 ( if I remember right this number is on the router in case you have changed it.

3. Ensure you have ' Enable Wireless Access Point' ticked

4. I have the WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) ticked.

I then just asked made sure I have 'Airport turned on by choosing it from either Application, internet connect

or from shortcut on top right side of the (near to were the clock/date is) desktop

Really not sure why this works for me but it does - let me know if it works

Andrew
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

HarryBosch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidsgrove
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Nige

Do you have a log in password or keychain password ? , if so try using one of these when prompted instead.Hope this helps

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.

I have tried all possible passwords. The guys at Applecare suggested a dollar ($) sign before and after or quotation marks - to no avail.
      They reckon the only solution is to reset the router thereby changing the network password and gave me the number for Netgear who referred me back to Sky - who say it is an Apple fault (aargh!)

I logged into the Sky router web site and changed the p/word - but it made no difference. Nor did turning off all security.

I'm coming round to the idea that the router is duff. But will Sky swap it out for me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast