Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No connection

This is a discussion on No connection within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, hope one of you may be able to help. I've been signed up to SKY MAX for about 2 ...

madeofrain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CARDIFF
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No connection

Hello, hope one of you may be able to help.
      I've been signed up to SKY MAX for about 2 weeks. I was previously with BT.
      Tempted by the 60 a qaurter i'd be saving!
      Unfortunately things haven't gone awfully well. My SKY supplied router is faulty, leaving me without the connection I assume I'm currently paying for.
      In the interim while sky get around to sending me a replacement ( a week and still waiting) I've chosen to overlook the T's and C's and am using my own Netgear dg834g v3 ,having yoinked my username and password....

Admins don't fret, i fully intend to be a happy law abiding consumer and use the SKY router as soon as they issue me with a replacement.

Now, my problem, my router worked fine with my BT adsl and I live literally 100 yards from my exchange and my landline is brand new and perfect.The connection will drop, using ethernet?? It works fine for days then just stops working...It appeared to be resolved by resetting the router and going through the setup wizard again, I was wondering if the use of my netgear as opposed to SKY's router is what's at fault?
      I'm fortunate enough to be beta testing ADSL2 for BT as an employee so I have a second line for when the SKY BB does'nt work (like now)...But the BT testing will be coming to an end shortly and I fear I may have ended up with a lemon.

So in short, Any ideas on what may be causing the loss of service?

Thanks in advance.

T

MAC OS 10.4.9
      2ghz INTEL CORE DUO

2. Advertisement
      GillyB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect , which is pants!
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: No connection

I've lost internet connection about 20 minutes ago. Am connected to internet via my neighbours wireless network at the moment.
      This is the 2nd time today I've lost connection.
      I read on another thread here today that the previous connection loss was down to SKY.
      Am very fed up with this, I only got activated on Saturday after a 2 month battle to get SKY broadband.

madeofrain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CARDIFF
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just curious, your using a macbook/ibook I assume? Does the connection drop while your using a wired ethernet connection?
      I had a macbook for a while and going the MAC adress filtering route over WEP encryption and selecting 'G only' as opposed to 'G/B' in the wireless settings sorted my router issues out..
      I noted some folk have had some success with turning off UPnP...Meh

This is all for wireless access and I've got an Imac these days and its the old ethernet for moi.. I'n not shelling out for a N standard router just yet...120 for apples..I think not..
      I digress..Yar some folk have also tried changing the DNS to Easynets claiming the SKY DNS server is a bit dodgy...I'd rather they fix the standard setup as opposed to go fishing around for some random workaround...
      Still, You get what you pay for I guess...

GillyB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect , which is pants!
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No, haven't got an IMAC. I think the problem is SKY's end.

But you're right when you say you get what you pay for. Still very annoying though.

biscuit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ripponden (fairly large Yorkshire village)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Turn off interference robustness on all your Macs connecting wirelessly - this stops the router from occasionally crashing.

Also I found the connection kept getting dropped and I thought the router could have been faulty but when I disconnected extension wires 3 and 4 ( DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help ) I've had no more problems with a dropped connection and I have a much higher sync speed.