Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

This is a discussion on sky bb easy to set up on a mac ? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi ppl im thinking of geting sky bb on my imac was just wondering how easy it is to get ...

scartcable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky world
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

hi ppl im thinking of geting sky bb on my imac was just wondering how easy it is to get set up and online with the sky router and an ethernet cable once the equipments been delivered and youve went live. i was also wanting to know if i would need an airport device to have my wireless dell laptop(xp) connected to the router or would i only need the airport device if i wanted one of the macs to go wireless ?

any help much apreciated thanks
      Last edited by scartcable; 14-03-07 at 09:08 PM.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

You shouldn't have much trouble with the Mac -- though connecting wirelessly is made more complicated by Sky applying WPA encryption by default. So be prepared to put in the passphrase they supply you with (8 characters I think).

The iMac laptop's internal wireless doesn't have much range, so make sure you set the computer up in the same room as the router, initially.

Check the specs of the Dell -- it may have an ethernet network socket so you can connect direct to the Sky router by wire (for maximum speed/reliability). If the Dell is new enough it may have built in wireless. If not you can add a PCMCIA (aka PC card) or USB wireless adapter.

If you have to add wireless, I'd go for the card as it doesn't stick out of the laptop so far as the USB -- less likely to get damaged. However, Sky can sell you a decent Netgear USB for 23 (inc postage) and will support hardware they supply.

kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I set mine up via an iMac G5 without any problems at all.

If both of your machines have 11g wirelss adaptors, or even 11b, then they will both work with the Netgear router.

Kevlong

Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So easy - Plug in ethernet cable and as long as your connection is live the iMac finds connection straight away.

Don't bother with CD - nothing on it that you'd want anyway,

Regarding wireless, just the same. - Turn wireless on and imac locates straight away - make sure the router as the wireless setting enabled.
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

infiniteloop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWBUS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

it couldn't really be any easier...i just talked my wife through it on the phone, as Sky B went live at 3.30 pm...she switched on the router, i told her to find it in the airport drop-down, enter the password and it was online straight away. There are huge benefits to having the login/pass in the firmware!

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scartcable View Post
      hi ppl im thinking of geting sky bb on my imac was just wondering how easy it is to get set up and online with the sky router and an ethernet cable once the equipments been delivered and youve went live. i was also wanting to know if i would need an airport device to have my wireless dell laptop(xp) connected to the router or would i only need the airport device if i wanted one of the macs to go wireless ?

any help much apreciated thanks
      Your iMac will be fine - just plug it in to the ethernet port and it should work.

Your Dell should also be fine - the wireless adapter built into it should find the wireless signal from the Sky Router and you simply enter the connection details Sky supply - obviously this is dependent on getting a good signal from your Sky router.

There is no need for a Airport device - Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless so as long as your Dell has built-in wireless you are good to go.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

gagecube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok ive been setting up sky b base on my grandads 1st generation imac osx 10.0.4, but when i run the sky disc the imac opens the disc so you can see the installation,application files etc. but not any of these files run e.g setup.exe, just a choose application message. but surely this disc is compatible with macs?
      i got it working without anything from the disc anyway, but i thought that perhaps the wireless settings would be setup via the disc or do you do that the normal netgear way http://192.168.0.1

infact come to think of it other discs i have tryed in the past open in the same way, is there something i can change in system preferences?

kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think that you are probably suffering because of the early version of OS X you are running? I would agree with your assumption about configuring the router manually.

Kevlong

infiniteloop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWBUS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

virtually none of those kind of discs are ever mac compatible - they're just for PCs. OS X doesn't run .exes. Happily, Macs don't need the discs - you just plug and play most of the time - I would agree that your grandad's iMac could seriously do with an OS upgrade though, 10.0 was very early days! 10.3 and then downloading the combined updater from apple to take it to 10.3.9 would be a good option and you should find the discs on ebay for very little. You could of course take it up to Tiger (10.4) or wait for the imminent Leopard (10.5) but that will cost 80 or so. The iMac might appreciate a little more ram too!

gagecube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

thanks, so thats completely normal then. this imac is actually pretty well specced (G3 700mhz,768mb ram,60gb hdd)
      ok some other questions, the hard drive is partitioned into two 30gb folders on the desktop, one is called something like imac hd the other brittania. the latter has nothing in it and i would like to stop the partitioning and just have one 60gb folder, but how do i do this?

also some files request os 9 classic environment or something to that affect, and he has an os 9.2 installation disc so what would i have to do to allow it to read those files?

thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast