Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

This is a discussion on sky bb easy to set up on a mac ? within the Mac users forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; theres no rush in replying, but any help will be appreciated. some other questions. i've set the sky broadband up ...

gagecube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: sky bb easy to set up on a mac ?

theres no rush in replying, but any help will be appreciated.
      some other questions.

i've set the sky broadband up on my grandads iMac, but if you type http://192.168.0.1 and enter the default netgear login details (user name=admin Password=password) you arent taken to the router setup page, it just says youve entered it incorrectly. is this normal? do sky let users change their settings?.

also as previously mentioned the iMac is running osX 10.0.4 and using internet explorer 5.1 as it's browser and every now and then decides to close.
      now i went to the apple osX software update page and downloaded firefox in a .dmg file i think. when i double clicked it a page of code was opened. so i came to realise .dmg is a disc image file and follwed some instructions to burn using disc copy. so i opened it in disc copy and then appeared the firefox installer (i dont know why that happened, does disc copy mount images?) i tryed to install it but it failed. i then tried the same with opera. same thing happened. this may be because it's an old version of osX, but i dont see my grandad understanding if i say he should spend 80 on a new version. although there are cheap alternatives floating around on ebay, there would be quite abit of hassle getting him to set up a pay pal account and TBH i dont really know much about using ebay.

looking at the mac rigs some of you have i expect theres afew mac experts on here. so come on, help a guy out.

2. Advertisement
      Beephe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDL Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the router set up page is accessed by typing in 'Admin'
      Password is 'Sky'
      i
      Mac 20"
      G5 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      OSX 10.4.9

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try using Safari Browser

Although I use Mac and have done for 7 years I'm afraid I no tech expert.

Never partitioned drive - best source of support and help I can advise trying is

Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home.

Good luck
      i
      Mac 20"
      OSX 10.4.9

dq1
      dq1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1stly OS 10.0 is a terrible bare piece of software. I wouldn't have personally called it a beta, it can't even play dvds. You should look at obtaining 10.2 or higher.

The classic environment in an emulation of the OS 9 operating system inside OS X. It can be configured in the classic control pannel (or system preferences or what ever its called I've forgotten). When properly configured it should load it whenever you open a program that needs it.

Yes dmg are disk images which should mount a disk image when you open them. They are very common in Mac OS X. If its not installing I suspect its because you are using 10.0 which is not supported anymore by most developers.

With the release of the OS X platform apple were quite naughty and released new versions very quickly dropping support from the previous ones.

I hesitate to point this out but MAC OS X has no copy protection.

dq1
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1stly OS 10.0 is a terribly bare piece of software. I wouldn't have personally called it a beta, it can't even play dvds. You should look at obtaining 10.2 or higher.

The classic environment in an emulation of the OS 9 operating system inside OS X. It can be configured in the classic control pannel (or system preferences or what ever its called I've forgotten). When properly configured it should load it whenever you open a program that needs it.

Yes dmg are disk images which should mount a disk image when you open them. They are very common in Mac OS X. If its not installing I suspect its because you are using 10.0 which is not supported anymore by most developers.

With the release of the OS X platform apple were quite naughty and released new versions very quickly dropping support from the previous ones.

I hesitate to point this out but MAC OS X has no copy protection.

dq1
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1stly OS 10.0 is a terribly bare piece of software. I would have personally called it a beta, it can't even play dvds. You should look at obtaining 10.2 or higher.

Yes dmg are disk images which should mount a drive when you open them. They are very common in Mac OS X. If its not installing I suspect its because you are using 10.0 which is not supported anymore by most developers.

I hesitate to point this out but MAC OS X has no copy protection to my knowledge.
      Last edited by dq1; 14-04-07 at 08:38 PM.

gagecube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks ill try those forums.
      if you could link me to a safari or other browser that is compattible with 10.0.4 that would be great, as i cant seem to find any. next time im at my grandads ill look into the classic preferences, but i dont recall seeing any in the system pref panel.

and i guess the hint of

"I hesitate to point this out but MAC OS X has no copy protection to my knowledge."

is for me to get a later version off bittorrent? but even then im screwed as you cant burn working .dmg files using a pc, and the iMac doesnt have a dvd drive, just a cd-rw.

anyway thanks.

dq1
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagecube View Post
      ok thanks ill try those forums.
      if you could link me to a safari or other browser that is compattible with 10.0.4 that would be great, as i cant seem to find any. next time im at my grandads ill look into the classic preferences, but i dont recall seeing any in the system pref panel.

and i guess the hint of

"I hesitate to point this out but MAC OS X has no copy protection to my knowledge."

is for me to get a later version off bittorrent? but even then im screwed as you cant burn working .dmg files using a pc, and the iMac doesnt have a dvd drive, just a cd-rw.

anyway thanks.
      You could try restoring the disk image to the blank partition boot from that then install on the opposite partition.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

here's no 10.1.x update that comes after 10.1.5; the next step would be an upgrade to Jaguar (10.2), which, coincidentally, is the minimum System version required for Safari 1.0.

Safari 1.0 for Mac OS X: Information and download

If you go that route here is the link to download it
      i
      Mac 20"
      OSX 10.4.9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12