Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Leaving Sky broadband, final bill

This is a discussion on Leaving Sky broadband, final bill within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am leaving Sky BB tomorrow and transferring to BT . I have had a letter from Sky acknowledging the ...

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Leaving Sky broadband, final bill

I am leaving Sky BB tomorrow and transferring to BT. I have had a letter from Sky acknowledging the move and that my Sky broadband will be cancelled as of tomorrow.
      Looking at my account details there is no indication on there that I am about to leave and my January bill, due from my direct debit on 27th, is a normal monthly one.

What is the normal procedure - do I expect after the move completes they will produce a revised bill (with possibly a refund for the days I have already paid for in the December bill) or will they deny everything until I phone and complain? I could obviously cancel the direct debit but doing that will probably just complicate matters.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Leaving Sky broadband, final bill

Call Sky direct and ask.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

[QUOTE=davews;472235]I am leaving Sky BB tomorrow and transferring to BT. I have had a letter from Sky acknowledging the move and that my Sky broadband will be cancelled as of tomorrow.
      Looking at my account details there is no indication on there that I am about to leave and my January bill, due from my direct debit on 27th, is a normal monthly one.

What is the normal procedure - do I expect after the move completes they will produce a revised bill (with possibly a refund for the days I have already paid for in the December bill) or will they deny everything until I phone and complain? I could obviously cancel the direct debit but doing that will probably just complicate matters.[/QUOTE

Your bill is created on the 13th of each month - Sky give 14 days notice of each bill.

If your services are active when the bill is generated then they bill you for a month in advance (as they do every month) from 27th to 26th of following month.

If your broadband cancels on the 17th then they will still take the bill on the 27th.

Then on 13th February when they create the bills for the 27th Feb they will work out that broadband got cancelled on 17th January and they will credit the 27th January payment plus the 10 days back to the cancellation date onto your Sky account.

They hold onto it for a short period to ensure any (potential) final call charges are deducted before it's refunded.

The refund will be back in your bank a maximum of 45 days after your cancellation.

There are some rare cases where call charges don't come through until 60(?) days after making them and this could mean a further payment is taken for them after the refund.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Many thanks Bubblegun for the comprehensive reply, at least I now know what will happen and it does sort of make sense.

BT Broadband went live yesterday as planned. It was really just to get everything 'under one roof' and although I have nothing against Sky, phone with BT which I have had for many years does actually work out slightly cheaper with their line rental saver. So far impressed - I have never got faster than 8.5Mbs with Sky (and O2 before) but BT connected immediately at 9.5Mbs and seems stable...

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Sky do line rental saver for 12 or 18 months too. It's the same price as BT's.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky