Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using sky+ hd box for freesat

This is a discussion on Using sky+ hd box for freesat within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi there. We recently moved house and there is no aerial, just a satellite dish. We've been using a freesat ...

Hannah0776 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using sky+ hd box for freesat

Hi there. We recently moved house and there is no aerial, just a satellite dish. We've been using a freesat box in our lounge with no problems. The previous owners had sky and most rooms are wired for sky, and we saw it working when we viewed the house.

We recently purcharsed a freesat box for the kitchen but it says 'no signal'. My mum also give me her old sky+hd box which I've plugged in in the basement but again, 'no signal' and I can't get this to connect to our talk talk wifi. I have 2 of her old viewing cards which I've tried.

Im a bit baffled that freesat works fine in one room, but not the others. Does anyone know where the problem likely lies?

thanks for your help.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Using sky+ hd box for freesat

The room where Sky works is probably the original location of the Sky box. Old Sky boxes had an RF2 co-axial output which allowed Sky TV to be distributed to TVs in other rooms,

Are you sure that the Sky+ HD box you are using has built in wifi? Check whether there is a WPS button on the front of the box. If not then you will need a separate wifi adaptor to control the box using wifi.

Provided the box is manufactured by Amstrad or Sky you can buy a Sky wifi adaptor. It comes in two versions one of which, the mini, will not work with DRX780 boxes.

On demand service is only available with a Sky TV subscription though a Sky+ subscription will allow you to use BBC Iplayer and record/playback functions for free to view TV channels.

Hannah0776 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. So does this mean that I should put the sky box in the lounge instead to enable me to use freesat in the other rooms? Or should I cut my losses and either get sky, or get an aerial fitted?

The sky box has 'network settings' where I can enter an IP address etc but it's still not connecting. There is no option to put a wifi password.

Im not really fussed about other features, if just like freesat if possible. BBC iplayer would be a welcome bonus!

thanks again, hannah

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The room where Sky works is probably the original location of the Sky box. Old Sky boxes had an RF2 co-axial output which allowed Sky TV to be distributed to TVs in other rooms,

Are you sure that the Sky+ HD box you are using has built in wifi? Check whether there is a WPS button on the front of the box. If not then you will need a separate wifi adaptor to control the box using wifi.

Provided the box is manufactured by Amstrad or Sky you can buy a Sky wifi adaptor. It comes in two versions one of which, the mini, will not work with DRX780 boxes.

On demand service is only available with a Sky TV subscription though a Sky+ subscription will allow you to use BBC Iplayer and record/playback functions for free to view TV channels.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As you said that you saw it working when you viewed the house I'm intrigued as to where all the co-ax (aerial?) leads go. Could it be that there was a distribution box in the loft or in some other out of the way place eg. a cupboard? If so is the distribution box still there or did the previous residents take it with them?

Assuming that this is not a temporary home I would invest in a good quality outdoor aerial. Providing the property isn't on the coast or near heavy industry which could provide a corrosive atmosphere it should last at least twenty years. Although I wouldn't recommend it you may get away with a loft aerial if you are in a strong signal area.

The next question is where should the lead from the aerial go? This could depend on a number of things but if you do have a central distribution point it should either go there or to the lounge which would allow you to distribute Sky channels around the house if you decided to replace the Freesat box with the Sky+ HD box and take out a Sky TV subscription at a later date.

I take it from what you say that the Sky+ HD box doesn't have a WPS button on the front panel. In that case you will either need to run a network (cat 5) cable from your router to the Sky box, invest in powerline adaptors or buy a wifi adaptor.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Some pictures of the wires or sockets in each room might help us diagnose the problem.
      Also if you have something in the loft that these wires connect to then that might help too.

You could easily get it setup like the previous residents or better if we had a better understanding of this.
      You don't seem to really understand (not a criticism of you) but pictures would help me or someone else here explain how to get it working the way you want.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Having a Freeview aerial as well as Sky/Freesat is a good idea as Sky multiroom/ Sky Q can get expensive when there is a cheap alternative. I watch Freeview more than Sky as there are so many channels now on Freeview depending on where you live of course as some areas haven't got as many channels as others. It depends on whether your signal comes from a main transmitter or a smaller relay station which you can get in hilly areas.

I would explore Freeview before subscribing to Sky unless you really want the Sport or Movies. Sky documentaries are good but there are a lot of repeats and Freeview has a lot now as well.

To get the TV working in other rooms you need to try and follow the wiring and see if they go all the way to the main room or get in touch with the previous owner and ask him/her how it worked before.