Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

It's that time of year - end of contract

This is a discussion on It's that time of year - end of contract within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; So my contract is up on the 10th Sep so I can give notice in a few days time. My ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's that time of year - end of contract

So my contract is up on the 10th Sep so I can give notice in a few days time.

My current deal was:

50% off TV (Box Sets plus Sports and Sport HD)
      Line Rental 14.99 (4 off)
      Fibre Pro 20 (10 off)

So they can currently offer me:

50% off TV for a 12mth contract (no mention if the offer is shorter than the contract)
      2.50 off fibre with 18mth contract
      Nothing on line rental

So that's Fibre Pro and Line rental for 46.49 on an 18mth contract.

Oddly, I could migrate to their NowTV on a 12mth contract for 37.99 plus 22 install (so effectively 39.82). That's some 7 cheaper and includes the NowTV entertainment pack.

I could buy a humax freesat box for 180 (or 15pm if I just used it for a year..... the longer I stay on freesat the cheaper the effective monthly cost).

I could even move to NowTV on a rolling monthly contract for an extra 22 install)

So why on earth would I stay with full fat sky at all. At worse I should keep the TV and move the fibre to their NowTV.

My current view is move the lot on a rolling 1mth contract and wait and see what come back offer there is. If nothing comes within a couple of months and I need the recording then get the humax box.

I'd miss the F1, but could replace the Sky Sports with BT Sport as I think I'd make more use of the euro football in the week.

What to do, what to do.

2. Advertisement
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Re: It's that time of year - end of contract

Hello reddwarfcrew
      I am not surprised by Sky's reply as they probably believe at present they hold all the cards
      with an 11million or more customer base they do not have to encourage people with discounts
      SkyQ has worked quite well & increasing all the time plus they added phone shield a little while
      back So if you cancel some services So What......!!
      Maybe it's time to alternate between suppliers as we do with insurance (home car etc) and just
      capture the yearly deals on ' Offer' But it might become a Pain...........

Just a Thought...............Time for a Beer...
      It's that time of year - end of contract-speedof.me_17-08-06-sunday-8.50am.jpg
      Last edited by wizard200; 06-08-17 at 01:26 PM. Reason: X eyed

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We manage quite nicely with NOW TV and don't miss recording Sky content at all, because catch-up content tends to be on there for up to 30 days and inevitably a whole series returns as a box set quite soon after the final episode has dropped off catch-up. We use a YouView PVR to record from terrestrial channels (but a Freesat PVR would do just as well) and we also use BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4 etc to supplement as necessary. Also dip in & out of Netflix & Amazon Video. Streaming is the (mostly) future!

Still getting 10 per month off Fibre Pro (even without a TV sub).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I haven't got movies, dropped those some time ago. Instead I bought a server and ripped all the content. I now actually watch all those dvds I bought!!!!

I do enjoy the F1 and I would miss that. I watch golf 3 days every 2 years and barely watch any cricket. Football I'm undecided on. If I could pick up a bt sport deal then I may happily live without SS.

On the entertainment pack; I keep thinking about what channels I watch and it's all stuff on freeview/freesat!!

If they would give the 10 off fibre pro then I'd stay but the fibre/line rental is totally uncompetitive even against their own NowTV. VM is a damn sight cheaper too.

I think I'd need the PVR as I just don't remember stuff when it's on!! I havent got a TV aerial, so it's either c150 on a tv aerial and no pvt or 150 on a freesat with pvr.

I just feel the love affair with sky may be coming to an end.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      No TV aerial isn't necessstily a problem as BBC iPlayer etc all stream live tv via t'interweb. Or there's the TVPlayer app on Roku etc that's a legitimate one stop shop for the same (free but there's a pay monthly option to get a few extra channels if required).

Freesat just uses the redundant Sky dish (as you know of course) so is an easy option.

Our love affair with Sky TV ended about 20 months ago now! More spare cash and no regrets at all...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

bigmike20vt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01440
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk Fibre
      Router:
      Thanks

do sky lock details on your address? 1 think i have been thinking is alternating with my wife and i every time the contract ends, so i never renew with them.

quidco / topcash back often have good deals for new customers and on top of that i found a month after cancelling with them they spammed me every single month with different deals to get me back. i figure then alternating contracts with my wife and i going back as a returning customer seems like the best thing to do.

loyalty gets you no where these days imo

at the very least play it like a game of poker... say you are going to leave... and ultimately be prepared to do it. the worst that can happen is a month or so without sky and they WILL beg you to come back.
      Fiat Coupe. Gone but not forgotten

Exchange:
      Thanks

So I had another attempt today and was offered:

60% off TV
      10 off Fibre Pro
      4 off Line Rental

All for 12mth contract with discount for the full 12mths..... so I decided to stay.

So nearly moved the fibre to Vodfone as they have a great offer at the moment.
      speedyrite and wizard200 like this.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello reddwarfcrew
      Great result for You & your Family it just show's that Sky can be Flexible when required
      now you may consider SkyQ if you feel inclined : You could be on a Roll.............

Just a Thought..............

It's that time of year - end of contract-speedof.me_17-08-10-thurs-7.35am.jpg

The Lazy Slug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hertford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Seems you've got a pretty good deal there reddwarfcrew.

My contract is up too and I phoned to renegotiate today for the first time in 15 years! Currently I have Sky Q multiroom, Fibre Unlimited, Phone (with free weekend calls.), Sports and Cinema. Comes in just north of 130 a month. Would ideally just like the fibre unlimited, phone (with no free calls) and the Original bundle with no multiroom, but I want HD too. Only way to get the HD is to get the Box Set package even though I never watched a Box Set.

Obviously my negotiating skills are worse than I thought! They came back with an offer of 60.50 a month (fibre, phone and Box Set). Considering a new customer would pay 63.22 a month for the same (I've included the setup charges in all pricing) I wasn't impressed. If I used the current Vodafone offer for the broadband, the whole lot would come down to 57.11.

Naturally, I've cancelled and will mix Freesat (TV can record on an attached hard disk or I'll use Plex PVR with HomeRun) with Now TV, using their current Combo offer of 33.66 a month for phone, broadband and Entertainment pack. it may only be 720p, but 26.84 extra a month for 1080p isn't worth it.

Hopefully Sky will come back with a better offer as their set up is more convenient.

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: SKY fibre max
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Guess I hit lucky, I cancelled last year, then went back about 2 months later, got full package sports cinema, HD sports, line rental fibre unlimited (38 mbps), plus multi room for 83 next 5 years, yes I broke contract after more than 20 years with SKY, but I think I got a good deal, I upgraded this year to Q Silver with no additional cost per month.
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast