Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Keep same telephone number when rejoining

This is a discussion on Keep same telephone number when rejoining within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; After being with Plusnet for 3 years I am wanting to rejoin Sky Fibre but am being told I can ...

bobbyrabbit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham, Carfax
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Keep same telephone number when rejoining

After being with Plusnet for 3 years I am wanting to rejoin Sky Fibre but am being told I can not transfer my telephone number back because it was ceased by Sky when leaving. Is that correct?
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Keep same telephone number when rejoining

You should be able to keep your number. Is it Plusnet saying that?
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

No it's Sky saying that. I mentioned this early on to Plusnet that Sky was saying my line had ceased. Apparently Plusnet were migrating some of their systems so had my line on cease. I cancelled this so I could move. Plusnet are saying this should now not cause a problem with transferring back to Sky.
      I have made 4 calls to Sky since 1st June trying to transfer and tonight it was still on cease, but it was the first I heard about not being able to transfer back to Sky without losing my number.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Are you wanting to transfer your current telephone number or one that was ceased three years ago?

Thanks

I have had the same number for 13 years. When I left Sky previously Plusnet set me up with a new number without warning me, luckily they cancelled that and transferred my long standing number. Whether that has caused a problem, I don't know!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You may need to keep your service (and existing telephone number) with Plusnet for the time being until all notifications of a change in status are removed from your line. It shouldn't take more than a month and may be much sooner. You will then be able to place an order with Sky who can arrange for your telephone service to be transferred while retaining your existing directory number.

There is no requirement to contact your existing service provider when transferring broadband and telephone services between suppliers where the service is being delivered over your telephone line (cable is slightly different).

Thanks

Plusnet told me the cease on the migration should take no more than 3 days (4th June), although they told me their migration of systems was to happen on the 15th June. Surely transferring your number back to Sky is possible even if you have left them previously, that must be feasible. I'll wait longer and see what happens.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

You should not be talking to your existing provider Plusnet.
      The process is as below;

There are two different types of process for switching a standard 'phone service - 'gaining provider led' and 'cease and re-provide'.
      Which process you follow largely depends on what provider you're switching to and from and the type of connection you have or are looking to change to. In particular, if you are switching to or from a cable provider such as Virgin Media, you will need to follow the 'cease and re-provide' process.
      The length of time it will take will depend on the services you have.
      You can keep your existing landline telephone number when you switch if you want to. This is known as number 'porting'. If you want to keep your number, let the provider you wish to switch to know. However, you may not be able to keep your existing landline number if you are switching landline provider at the same time as moving home.
      The first thing you should do is contact the provider you wish to switch to, and explain what you want to do. They should be able to give you details on which process you need to follow.
      Regardless of the process you follow, you have a 14 calendar day period from the date you enter a new contract with a new provider in which you have a right to cancel your request to switch without being charged.

Gaining provider led process
      Under a 'gaining provider led process', your new provider will arrange the switch for you.
      You only need to contact the provider you wish to switch to, who will notify your old provider of the intended transfer - you do not need to cancel your contract with your old provider.
      However, if you're switching provider for a bundle which includes a TV service, there may be some differences - particularly if the switch involves cancellation of a satellite TV service. Speak to the provider you wish to switch to for advice on the process to follow for this.
      If you want to keep your existing landline number, let the provider you wish to switch to know. However, you may not be able to keep your existing landline number if you are switching landline provider at the same time as moving home.
      If you change your mind, you must contact your new provider to cancel your request to switch.
      Once you have contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch.
      The letter from the provider you are leaving must include details of:
      - the services which are affected,
      - the services which are unaffected, and
      - any applicable early termination charges that relate to the services you currently take.
      The letters from the provider you are leaving and your new provider must also give details of the switch, including a reasonable estimate of the date it will happen.
      Your new provider must also keep for a minimum of 12 months a record of your consent to switch services.

Cease and re-provide process

You'll most likely use this process if you're switching services with providers that are delivered over different networks.
      For example, if you're switching to or from the Virgin Media cable network.
      If you're switching to or from a cable network, you will need to contact your new provider to place an order for your new service or services.
      If you choose to keep your existing 'phone number, your new provider should notify the provider you are leaving that the service is being transferred (although you may not be able to keep your existing landline number if you are switching landline provider at the same time as moving home).
      If you are switching your landline only and you have asked to keep your existing phone number, you would not normally need to notify the provider you are leaving that you are moving to a new provider (though you may want to check whether the provider you are leaving will charge an early termination fee for leaving your contract).
      If, however, you choose to obtain a new landline telephone number from your new provider, then you will need to contact both your current provider to cancel your contract and your new provider to arrange your new landline telephone service.
      If you're following a cease and re-provide process, you will normally receive notification from the provider you are leaving that your contract is ending (and notification of any charges associated with this), and you will be given a new contract from your new provider which will tell you when your contract is due to start.
      Note that if you use this process and a new line needs to be installed to your house, you may be liable for the cost of this installation.
      You may decide to coordinate the start of your new service with the end of your old service, or you may wish to have an overlap of your old and new contracts.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...ching-landline
      Last edited by lettice; 13-06-17 at 08:28 AM.