Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Suspending services

This is a discussion on Suspending services within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi I am due to move house on 11th May but due to unforeseen circumstances my new home will not ...

shake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Suspending services

Hi

I am due to move house on 11th May but due to unforeseen circumstances my new home will not be ready until (about) the middle of June. New people are moving in to our (old) house on the 11th May. We are having to rent a holiday cottage for a month and maybe stay with relations if our new house is still not ready.

I called Sky and they said there is no option but to cancel the BB and phone line and as I only recently signed a new 12 month deal they want nearly £80 early cancellation charges. They say there is no way to suspend the account for a month even though I am happy to pay for the month when I won't be using the services. I did tell them when I agreed to the new contract that I was moving but I did not know about the delay at that time.

Is this the best that Sky can really do for me? Do they not encounter this from time to time and have a provision for it?

Thanks
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Suspending services

Sky may be prepared to credit your account with some or all of the early termination fees if you take out a new contract once you have moved to your new property.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

You could contact the retentions team.
      Say retentions when you call and get the what service do you want from sky prompt.
      Explain to them and ask them for a new contract to start mid June and ask for credit to cover the £80.
      Sky always offer at least £50 to £100 credit now at any renewal call.

Another idea would be to cancel now, pay the £80 and then once you are ready to move in go for a new customer deal, which you would be and get a discounted deal.
      Only thing is with this, is the long-term loyalty scheme starts later this year and you may miss out on some of the loyalty discounts if you have been with sky for many years.

shake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks Seawright and lettice.

I will give it a go.

sco0ter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Here's from sky moving home T&C

Will I still be charged for my Sky products if my move is delayed?

Sky +

Your Sky TV service is continuous and will not be stopped when you unplug your Sky box. This means you can continue to use Sky Go throughout your Home Move journey. Your TV billing amount will therefore not change and you will continue to be charged in the usual way.

Sky Broadband and Talk

Sky Broadband and Talk, will be stopped at the address you’re moving from and restart at your new home on the dates provided to you. You won’t be charged while these services are stopped. Charges may apply for non-standard installations.

You can just disconnect the equipment and leave it running and pay the monthly fee while you wait to move in

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      You could contact the retentions team.
      Say retentions when you call and get the what service do you want from sky prompt.
      Explain to them and ask them for a new contract to start mid June and ask for credit to cover the £80.
      Sky always offer at least £50 to £100 credit now at any renewal call.
      They definitely don't!
      Credits are on lockdown at the moment. Manager authorisation, only in extreme circumstances.

My advice would be cancel the telephone and broadband. The Early Termination charge will be applied to your account. You should be able to claim it back if you rejoin and continue the contract. You will probably need to get retention to agree to this and then call them when reordering to get it credited back.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky