Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

15% discount offer ending 8th September

This is a discussion on 15% discount offer ending 8th September within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi Sorry if this is the wrong place, let me know and I'll delete and re-post. I had a letter ...

smillar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

15% discount offer ending 8th September

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong place, let me know and I'll delete and re-post.

I had a letter come through in the past few days mentioning that I could benefit from a 15% off offer if I went online before 8th September. Sounded good, so I went online with the intention of seeing what it was all about. I got to the page that had some brief info about the offer but neglected to read the part that basically said "when you click the button you're actually taking out a new contract without any other confirmation". I thought I would have been given info on what my package costs were, what they were going to be after, if the 15% was only being applied to the TV package etc, things like that. I wasn't expecting to immediately be renewing my existing contract for another 12 months.

I realise that the devil is in the detail so other than my own ignorance of the system I can't complain, but I do feel ambushed here and that I wasn't given a chance to properly review the cost savings vs what reducing my package content would have given me. I contacted Sky via chat this morning and pleaded my case but was told I shouldn't expect much and that someone would call to discuss this. I'm not holding out much hope

Does anyone know if there are any minimum periods that have to pass before this is binding of if Sky actually have me boxed into a corner now for another 12 months?

Thanks
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: 15% discount offer ending 8th September

15% is not a good deal, if you are out of contract?
      Any twelve month renewal will always get you 25-35% at least, half price line rental etc. if you have broadband and talk.
      Have you looked in your mysky, you will probably have deals in there with more detail.
      Did it really just say 15% off with no more detail, no small print on the back of the letter?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, letter was as follows...

Hello Stephen
      As an existing Sky+ customer you can receive a discounted rate for the year ahead by going online before 8 September 2016.
      (extra paragraph saying what exclusive TV content they offer)
      Steve, MacDiarmid, Director of Customer Management
      (footer) Simply go online to sky.com/thankyouoffer

That was it. Hardly any detail at all, and I was expecting some kind of breakdown of the savings or such and was also interested in whether it applied to just the TV package or the whole telephone/broadband/TV package, but got ambushed by both the button click and my own stupidity for not reading all of the text on the screen.

I just want to know if anyone has advice on where I stand with this.

Thanks
      Steve
      Last edited by smillar; 07-09-16 at 09:33 AM. Reason: oops, wrong date

Thanks

Ok just visited that link, it says;

15% off your Sky+ TV subscription for the next 12 months when you stay with Sky for another year.

This offer will replace any existing TV offers on your account but won't affect any existing Sky HD, Sky Multiscreen, Sky Go Extra, Sky Broadband and Talk (including Sky Line Rental) or hardware offers.
      That is pretty clear and answers your questions above, the faq there too clearly lays out what its all about.

What do I need to do once I've redeemed this offer?
      You don't need to do anything. The offer you have redeemed will be live on your account within 14 days. We'll automatically remove the offer at the end of its specified period. Standard pricing applies after the 10 month period has ended.
      What will happen if I still have months remaining on my current contract?
      Once you have redeemed the offer, your existing contract will cease and be replaced by your new 12 month TV contract.
      What happens if I have existing offers on my account?
      Any existing Sky TV offers will be replaced by your new offer. All product offers (Sky HD, Sky Multiscreen, Sky Go Extra), Sky Broadband and Talk (including Sky Line Rental) and hardware offers will remain intact for their specified period.
      What else are you expecting them to tell you?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      What else are you expecting them to tell you?
      I'm not expecting them to tell me anything. I'm trying to ask people other than Sky about my rights in this situation if I have any. If I bought something from a shop and tried to take it back but they wouldn't let me then I'd want to know if they were correct in refusing my return, along with any mitigating circumstances of the purchase and return.

In this case I'm asking if the Sky representative is 100% correct in what they're saying about me not being able to get out of this. If I were a new customer I would have a 14 day cooling off period or something like that, and I am wondering if there is there nothing similar for contract renewals.

So, yes I clicked the button without having fully read everything and I've admitted that I was foolish in doing so (as per the original post), but I want to now know the opinions of others on whether or not I'm up the creek without a paddle on the say so of a Sky representative or if I should actually be able to cancel this renewal somehow. Consumer rights and all that... I have no idea about them.

Thanks

Ok, understand a bit more now.
      Yes as you say sky cooling off period is 14 days, but that is driven by UK consumer law. No idea how that works for this online subscription renewal.
      I've always done my sky business even with online offers over the phone, so they always tell you the ins/outs, the next month sub etc.

On that link you gave above is also the T&Cs, and it points to the standard sky tv T&Cs
      http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_TV_Contract.pdf
      Quite a bit laid out there under 'Your Rights to Cancel your Order' But looking over it quickly does not really offer you much comfort.

I think your best bet would be to give them a call, calling 03442 41 44 14
      If you are a sky talk customer that is free but its only a national rate number like 01 or 02 and probably free on your talk plan anyway.
      You cand always ask them to ring you back too, I've done that plenty of times.
      Not sure I would use live chat for something like contract queries. Often the conversion can get muddled or misinterpreted that way.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Ok, understand a bit more now.
      Yes as you say sky cooling off period is 14 days, but that is driven by UK consumer law. No idea how that works for this online subscription renewal.
      I've always done my sky business even with online offers over the phone, so they always tell you the ins/outs, the next month sub etc.

On that link you gave above is also the T&Cs, and it points to the standard sky tv T&Cs
      http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_TV_Contract.pdf
      Quite a bit laid out there under 'Your Rights to Cancel your Order' But looking over it quickly does not really offer you much comfort.

I think your best bet would be to give them a call, calling 03442 41 44 14
      If you are a sky talk customer that is free but its only a national rate number like 01 or 02 and probably free on your talk plan anyway.
      You cand always ask them to ring you back too, I've done that plenty of times.
      Not sure I would use live chat for something like contract queries. Often the conversion can get muddled or misinterpreted that way.
      Sky cooling off period is 31 days, not 14 days. It starts from day of activation not date of placing order.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky