Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can she cancel sky ???

This is a discussion on Can she cancel sky ??? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My sister in law was brow beaten by her waste of a "son "to allow him to order Sky (12 ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can she cancel sky ???

My sister in law was brow beaten by her waste of a "son "to allow him to order Sky (12 months ago nearly)...she cannot read or write and barely speaks English ....her "son" took out the contract in his name and at her address BUT the payments come out of her bank account, her waste of space "son" has now left home,and she does not want Sky at all,is there any way at all that she/or us on her behalf could cancel the contract after the 12 months is up ? The difficulty as well could be she has no idea of what his passwords or email address are(if they would be needed) as she is no longer in contact with her "son" .....she is a pensioner and cannot keep these payments up for much longer,is there any help or advice that can be given to help her out of this mess? Many many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Re: Can she cancel sky ???

I would pop around, call Sky with her present and advise of your intentions.

If they get fussy over things you might have to give them 31 days notice, but ultimately I personally would suggest that this was a fraudulent transaction if the son took it out in his name, but used her bank account. A solicitor would love it.

However the solicitor would also point out the obvious flaw: She could have cancelled earlier.

If Sky can't process the cancellation with a 31 day notice, then she (you) should advise them that the Direct Debit will be cancelled and no further funds should be taken from her account with immediate effect. This will cause a response along the lines that Sky introduced charges earlier this year, but this is where the solicitor would have great fun arguing "unfair contract terms" since any correspondence from Sky would have been addressed to the son, not her, so she could claim that she was unaware of such terms as she would have received no such letter addressed to her, the owner of the bank account.

Important: I'm not trained in any legal matters so you may wish to double check with the CAB about any legal rights on this topic

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi scubbie we thought of the fraud route but effectively she gave her son permission to have sky so we dismissed that option also he is the account holder so we feel sky would not discuss the situation with us or her because although she is paying the account is in her sons name.

Thanks

Hi again,I just had another thought,although my sister in law is paying the Sky account if she were to stop the direct debit then surely as the son is the account holder they would chase him for payment and NOT her or would it not work that way ? Even though the equipment and set up is at her house etc .

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101 + TL-WR702N
      Thanks

I would ring them first, but if you don't get a good response then email the executive team on jeremy.darroch(at)bskyb.com explaining the problem and I'm sure they will deal with it.
      Let us know how you get on.

Edit, just seen your further post. Just stopping a direct debit is never a good idea as you can get bad credit and debt collector problems.

Thanks

Many thanks for that information,I will certainly bear that in mind.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Following a change of company name, Sky have changed all their email addresses to end in @sky.co.uk. That email address may no longer work and I don't know if Jeremy Darroch's email address rings the same as before.

Besides, it is best to go through Sky's Customer services first. Once they say no, then contact the executive team.

I've been looking for a suitable set of contact details. Try the following link, it provides a series of links to more suitable places to contact Sky and details of their Customer Complaint procedure:

Sky Help: How to make a complaint

As has been mentioned, cancelling the DD could affect any credit scoring. Also where are Sky going to send the letters? It's probably unlikely that the son would answer them even if he got them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Many thanks for the links and advice,I think the best option is first and foremost contact Customer Services if we then get no joy the complaints link will come into play..we will discus this when we next see the sister in law, once again thank you all for the advice given

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If, as I suspect, you have problems cancelling the account. I was wondering about returning the viewing card to Sky by recorded delivery as according to the T&Cs it remains the property of Sky Subscriber Services Limited (SSSL). Without the card Sky cannot provide you with a paid for viewing service so they cannot charge you for a service that you are unable to receive. There is also a clause that refers to giving your viewing card away. I would maintain that as the person no longer lives at the address where the viewing card is being used he has effectively given the card away.
      The Viewing Card
      1. The Viewing Card acts as a key so that you can unlock (unencrypt) encrypted digital satellite services (such as the Service). Having a Viewing Card does not mean you have a right to receive the Service. You are only entitled to one Viewing Card per Sky digital Subscription.
      2. SSSL continues to own the Viewing Card after it is sent to you and, if SSSL asks you to, you must return it after this Contract ends or when a replacement is sent to you.
      3. Only you may use the Viewing Card which SSSL sends you. You can only use the Viewing Card at your Address with the Box for which it is first authorised by SSSL to receive encrypted digital satellite services. You must only use it for private viewing purposes. You must not use it for any commercial or business purpose or in any premises other than your Address.
      4. The Viewing Card must not be used outside the country (either UK or Republic of Ireland) it was supplied for use in.
      5. The details you give us (including your name and address) must be accurate, true and correct and kept up-to-date at all times. Any change of your Address must be notified to SSSL immediately.
      6. If you give your Viewing Card to anyone else SSSL can make it invalid.
      7. You must not tamper with the Viewing Card or use it for anything we or SSSL do not authorise.
      8. In order to continue to receive encrypted digital satellite services without interruption, the Viewing Card must be kept in your Box at all times and you will need to keep the Box connected to a mains supply and suitable satellite dish and in standby mode while not in use. The software in your Box is owned by, or licensed to, Sky or another member of the Sky group. You must allow SSSL to update the software in your Box by sending signals via satellite to your Box. You must not tamper with the software in the Box or authorise anybody else to do so.
      9. As part of the proper administration of the digital satellite platform, SSSL shall be entitled to disclose your name, Address, the services you receive via the Viewing Card and its number to Viewing Card manufacturers and providers of digital satellite services for which your Viewing Card is enabled.
      10. If your Box is connected to a telephone line or to the internet, information may be passed from it to SSSL and vice versa.
      I have no legal training and am just stating my opinion but it is another way of looking at the problem which could be explored.

edit:

I suspect that the subscriber has also failed to inform Sky of his change of address thereby failing to comply with clause "e".

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Just call Sky explain the original contracted person has left the address and the account is no longer needed at the property.

They will attempt to contact him and close the account.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.