Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Look before I leap - advice please

This is a discussion on Look before I leap - advice please within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; After over 30 years with BT I'm looking to move to Sky. I used the BT TV (Vision) service for ...

Jaydee2015 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01207
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Look before I leap - advice please

After over 30 years with BT I'm looking to move to Sky. I used the BT TV (Vision) service for my favourite documentary channels ( Discovery etc.), but intermittent problems with broadband causes regular problems/failures with recordings which is really frustrating. I'm expecting Sky transmits these via satellite - is that true? - can I record these to view later?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Look before I leap - advice please

most programmes will be through satellite so ok but on-demand service rely s on bb

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Any content broadcast live can be recorded to the drive in the Sky+ HD STB. Much is now available with the On Demand and Catch Up TV features, but not all.

There is content from both Discovery and National Geographic available. Whether this is of the shows that you are specifically wanting to watch I can't say.

Why not take a look at the Sky Go site to see if it's what you'd like? You don't have to join to see the titles of what is available.

http://go.sky.com/

As for downloading it, even if you r broadband is slow (min 2mb) you should be able to download the content. It might take a few hours on a slow connection but this can be scheduled to happen overnight.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Jaydee2015 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01207
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I'm on fibre but sometimes the scheduled programmes fail to record even though speeds are supposed to be 13 - 20 MB/s and when watching 'live' it regularly stutters or stops and i get the infamous 'V04' error (slow broadband). Technical 'help' hasn't been great they even had problems getting into my account last year to upgrade/renew it which meant wasting hours on the phone. I don't mind if it took longer to download a program - but at least I'd still get to watch it later.

Thanks again

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

In that case it sounds like Sky will be a good solution to what you have now.

Sky doesn't currently use IPTV, which is what you are having issues with on the BT system. Any OD and CUTV content is downloaded to your STB. When the download reaches a point where you can watch it without catching up with the stream (playing at normal speed this is), you get a prompt advising yu that you can watch it.

In cases where people have had problems downloading the content has become available a few hours after it was triggered. Otherwise the download is available normally within a matter of seconds.

Live broadcasts are via the Satellites. Your dish will be directed at the group.

If the weather is bad, such as heavy rain or snow, then the reception at the dish can be affected. I've had this a few times in the past year, but the rain was really quite heavy. When this happens I normally switch over to terrestrial or watch something that I'd recorded. It normally only lasts a short time though.
      skyexpert likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms