Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Like Tree3Likes

3 week wait for installation!

This is a discussion on 3 week wait for installation! within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; There used to be a requirement for a new sky box to be connected to a telephone line for the ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 3 week wait for installation!

There used to be a requirement for a new sky box to be connected to a telephone line for the initial contract period unless a "no phone line" activation fee was paid. Sky would tell you that the twenty five pound fee was to cover the cost of activation but this was only partly true. There was never a requirement to pay this fee for a fully paid for box eg. Freesat from Sky but it did apply to discounted boxes eg. "Pay Once Watch Forever" which were available from high street stores. The reason being that the interactive service provider paid Sky a fee, which partly covered the cost of the discounted Sky box, so that they could make their services available to Sky customers. I've no idea how much they paid towards each box though I expect that it was less than the manual enablement fee. This ceased to be relevant when Sky purchased the interactive service provider though it was at least a year after the acquisition that the fee was dropped and even longer until the requirement to have a phone line connected to the Sky box for the initial contract period was dropped from the T&Cs.

This is totally different to the Multiroom requirement which is an anti-fraud measure and was only dropped when it was replaced by a requirement (with Multiscreen) to have all boxes connected to the internet where a method of connection was provided.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Not a requirement with a standard HD STB as they don't have any wifi facilities hence there is no need for any phone lines what so ever on any new multiscreen installs or any new additional multiscreen for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      This is totally different to the Multiroom requirement which is an anti-fraud measure and was only dropped when it was replaced by a requirement (with Multiscreen) to have all boxes connected to the internet where a method of connection was provided.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Sky HD boxes do not have wifi but they do have a network connection port. The engineer insisted on connecting it to my router (which was in the same room) when I had Multiscreen installed.

Perhaps I should have emboldened "where a method of connection was provided".

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

The network ports on the standard STBs don't work they don't have on demand facilities.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      The network ports on the standard STBs don't work ...
      I disagree. The network port on a standard HD STB (DRX595) does work. It was used to pair my viewing card and I also use it to control my sky viewing from my PC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

bubblegun (14-12-15)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345